Boston Craigslist loaded with used stoves this week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harman Lover 007

Minister of Fire
Craigs list can be a great place to shop.

Just have to know what you want and what to look for.

Both of Our whitfields are Craigs List items.

Condition is everything.

Age is not too important.

Stay away from wierd ODD brands that were here and gone, even in their time. (Unless you can get them really cheap.

Whitfields and a few others that are no longer manufactured are/were a very good stove.

During the early BOOM time of Pellet stoves, a lot of companies sprang up, literally overnight and got into the stove business.

Many of these older stoves used all OFF THE SHELF parts like fans and auger motors along with standard electronic timers.

These old work horses can be a great find and give good service if you have the skills to tear into them and make any needed repairs.

Such items as gaskets for fans and such can be made from readily available materials. Door gasket rope is all standard stuff too.

Most of the early stoves used feed motors that can be found at such places as our friends at wood Heat stoves and several other outlets.

Many of these used a standard 1 RPM motor.

Rarely does an auger ever wear out. Some bushings and such may need replacing, but these stoves are nearly bomb proof unless thay have been abused.

Be careful when buying that you dont get a stove thats been allowed to sit out in the weather and get really wet and allowed to rust up inside.

Have fun and good shopping

Snowy

SmokeyTheBear said:
Lots more to come from the looks of things.

Smokey, why do you say that?

subsailor said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Lots more to come from the looks of things.

Smokey, why do you say that?

Every time more people switch to pellet stoves due to heating fuel prices after they have used one many of them get tried of cleaning them or if they didn't clean them the stoves performance and then they get dumped on Craigslist. Couple that with they discover that if the stove doesn't work because of some part it takes too long to get the part or to get it installed or even get the problem diagnosed.

tony58 said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
I'm always checking to see if the right thing comes along for me but this week there any lots of new and used pellet stoves in all price ranges on CL/Boston. If you are on the fence or looking for that 2nd or 3rd stove....check it out.

http://boston.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=4&subAreaID;=&query=pellet+stove&catAbb=sss

Man ,thats alot of stoves for sell.Do people get them and are just too lazy to pour pellets in them and do a weekly cleaning?

Some of them are also dealers selling their stoves.

But in answer to your question and in defense of some of the sellers most of them have no trouble dumping the pellets in and even doing what they were shown to do in the cleaning area. It is what they weren't shown or told that starts the flow of stoves to craigslist.

For example this stove can heat your house on a bag of pellets a day, only true if your place is small, well insulated, and fairly tight around these parts. If your place leaks air like a sieve and is the size of McMansion etc ... that ain't going to happen unless you get one heck of a passive solar gain.

Yep, up here in Watertown, MA, I scour Craigslist every day -- but I'm set on getting a Harman P35I insert and haven't seen one yet. I outfitted most of my entire woodworking shop with Craigslist tools.

Smokey makes a good point about the stoves and what people are "told". I did a ton of research; including speaking with actual people who own pellets stoves rather than a sales pitch, no offense to the honest sales people here. And they told me ALL the pros and cons of pellet stoves. I told them what I wanted and what was involved with a stove and the one thing they all said, "it ain't no set it and forget it" kinda thing. I have a new home with solid insulation and doors and window, so to that end, I'm lucky. My Harman Accentra will heat my house all day and night with the exception of the most extreme winter nights. I have three zones in my home so I can heat what I want when I want.

The money I've saved over the past three winters and the upcoming winter is worth much more than the work of cleaning the thing once a week and doing a more thorough cleaning every two months. I like buying a "boat load" of pellets in the late winter/early spring when they go cheap because I can store them in my garage and basement. Can't do that with HHO#2. Is it a little more work than just raise the t-stat, you bet. But I like buying a commodity when it's cheap and when I want unlike the oil/gas guy.

Making any kind of purchase like a pellet stove requires a certain amount of due diligence. Talk to as many people as you can. Some will give you extreme answers because of what they were told at first and it didn't work out for them, or others will simplify everything, ya know, "oh yeah, no problem you can fix that easily.

My stove has been flawless to date (knock on wood) and has performed just as I was explained by not only my friends but the stove shop as well.

After getting sick of my Englander 25EPI I ordered a new P35i. I put the 25EPI on the Boston Craiglist at 11am and had it sold and paid for by 5pm. At $1050 I don't think I gave it away but I didn't hurt anyone either.

Attachments

• stovepic1_edited-2.jpg
    stovepic1_edited-2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 464
Craigslist works well to sell (after you weed out the scammers) I looked for a used pellet stove for the last year and couldn't get an email back so I assumed they sold quick and failed to take the adds down

Craigslist worked for me. I bought a P2000i including the chimney liner for $450. It's working great and most importantly, the oil level in my tank is holding steady.
It took me almost a month of scoping the ads a few times a day. When the stove I wanted popped up at the right price, I was lucky enough to be the first caller and I moved quickly.

fmsm said:
After getting sick of my Englander 25EPI I ordered a new P35i. I put the 25EPI on the Boston Craiglist at 11am and had it sold and paid for by 5pm. At $1050 I don't think I gave it away but I didn't hurt anyone either.

What made you sick of the 25-EPI?

BrotherBart said:
fmsm said:

What made you sick of the 25-EPI?

In 2 years I had to replace 2 igniters, combustion fan, door rope gasket, and blower fan. Those repairs coupled (I need to be careful how I word this) with the higher degree of maintanance required compared to the P35i did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.