Bottom up chimney cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardog

Jan 13, 2011
NW CT
Sooo, it's my first year burning and I would like to sweep my own chimney. Unfortunately, I have a very steeply pitched roof and a chimney cap that is probably 45 feet up. I would like to try a bottom up cleaning, but have a direct connection from the stove to the flue. Not looking to pull the insert out of the fireplace, and since I don't have room for a 'T' pipe, does anyone know If I can simply take out the burn tube assembly of my Clydesdale to get a brush up the flue? I can't/won't go up that high to go top down, and don't want to pull out the insert or pay someone else for to clean the pipe. It's a 35 ft 6' stainless steel liner inside a masonry chimney.

I don't know about the assembly of your stove and looked at the owners manual to see if I could find the answer, but I think you would be a good candidate for a sooteater. I have the same situation at my house (33' chimney, 10 pitch roof, two story colonial).

If it's a true direct connect installation - with a liner stub going to the first flue tile - you really do need to pull the insert to clean it properly. Otherwise, the creosote falls down onto the smoke shelf and collects, presenting a future fire hazard. Also, the smoke chamber of the fireplace should be checked over.

Yep. A fact of life with a direct connect is that the insert has to come out to clean the chimney. And with a Sooteater if you cut the whip the correct size for the connector pipe then it isn't going to be big enough to make contact with and clean the chimney tiles above the connector pipe.

Time to call a chimney sweep.

Thank God I have much wiser people looking over this site. My gut feeling was the stove had to be pulled out, but sometimes I cannot see past my gut....

I may have used the wrong terminology when I said 'direct connect'. I meant to say I don't have a 'T' adapter from liner to insert. We ran a ss liner all the way up the masonry chimney. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.