Bottom-Up Cleaning in a Jotul Rockland c550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody clean their c550 from the bottom-up? Someone on another post said there is a pin the runs across the flue which prevents this type of cleaning method in its little brother, the c450. I haven't had a chance to remove the tubes and plates yet to take a look for myself. Last year was my first season burning and this will be the first cleaning. I'd rather do it from inside the house than on a ladder at the top of the chimney.

Page twelve of your manual has a picture of the flue adapter and the pin.

Thanks BB. I think this means that top-down is the best way to clean the pipe. It looks like this pin holds the draw down adapter in place and removing it could create a reattachment problem should it become diconnected from the top of the insert.

I would take the pin out and put two or three inch stainless steel bolts in its place on each side with the threaded ends sticking out to hold the adapter in and then put nuts on them. That pin is going to be a pain in the butt no matter how you clean the chimney.

That's a great idea! Thanks for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.