Bottom Vent on Airtight Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCrosby

Oct 16, 2008
Maine
I have an airtight woodstove that has a 20' straight 9" chimney pipe (triple layer where it goes through the ceiling to the outside) and that draws it air through a hole in bottom of the stove that pipes directly down into a 4 foot crawl space.
In the past this draw pipe simply extended about 18" into the crawl space, which is about 24' X 24' by 4', and which had about a dozen vents around the east and west perimeters.
Because of moisture problems we have had the space lined and all vents to the outside sealed. There is now simply a single "Crawl-0-Sphere" fan vent that joins the crawl space with the dehumified basement under the main house.
I'm considering 2 options, and would appreciate any advice:
Do I continue to simple draw my burning air through the 18" pipe into the crawl space, or will draft and efficiency be better if I run a 12' extension from the bottom of the draft pipe to the outter wall and to the outside air?
I know my terminology is far from "standard", but hope that this explanation is clear enough to allow responses. If not, I'll gladly attempt to clarify any question that may arise.
Thanks,
Rob

RCrosby said:
I have an airtight woodstove that has a 20' straight 9" chimney pipe (triple layer where it goes through the ceiling to the outside) and that draws it air through a hole in bottom of the stove that pipes directly down into a 4 foot crawl space.
In the past this draw pipe simply extended about 18" into the crawl space, which is about 24' X 24' by 4', and which had about a dozen vents around the east and west perimeters.
Because of moisture problems we have had the space lined and all vents to the outside sealed. There is now simply a single "Crawl-0-Sphere" fan vent that joins the crawl space with the dehumified basement under the main house.
I'm considering 2 options, and would appreciate any advice:
Do I continue to simple draw my burning air through the 18" pipe into the crawl space, or will draft and efficiency be better if I run a 12' extension from the bottom of the draft pipe to the outter wall and to the outside air?
I know my terminology is far from "standard", but hope that this explanation is clear enough to allow responses. If not, I'll gladly attempt to clarify any question that may arise.
Thanks,
Rob

You posted in the wrong forum. Moderator, please send this to the Hearth Room.

Sorry to have posted this in the wrong place, but I've gone to the "Hearth Room" and kind find where it's been moved to.
Help?

You should be on the right forum now.

Status
Not open for further replies.