Bottom's up cleaning qustion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rasmussenjohn

Dec 15, 2011
north il
Hi all
I have a question about cleaning the chimney from the bottom up. Do I have to put a TEE at the point where the stove connects to the chimney pipe? this is a all metal pipe no blocks.

Or how is the best way to do it from the bottom up?

I understand that going from the top down is the best way to do it but with a 10/12 pich cleaning in mid season may be dangerous.

Thankful for any information

Top down is not necessarily the "best" way, it is just one way. I will say the best way is the safest way so depending on your roof, weather, etc... botom up can be the best. For me I have a straight shot from the stove, through the house so I can take the stove pipe out on the deck and clean it and then run a brush up from the bottom while standing on my stove. I tape a box to the botom of my chimney with a hole in it for the rod to get though. Very little crud comes inside and I hit it with the vaccum as soon as I am done.

I think if your chimney is a through wall configuration a T at the bottom, outside, would be a big help. They also make a thing called, "soot eater" or something like that. It is weed whip like tool you use with a cordless drill and it has flexible rods that can go around corners I understand. Many on here use and love them. This may be a good option.

A tee definitely makes things easier. We can clean either from top or bottom but usually do it from the bottom as I don't like ladders and steep roofs either.

If you cant get on your roof maybe a chemical clean is an option then the creosote will fall to the bottom.

I used to spray a fine mist of various cleaners in my old wood furnace while its was burning really hot so the hot mist would travel up the chimney and coat the sidewalls. I think bleach was one liquid. But my flue was clay lined.

You can buy commercial grade stuff. ACS is one I used to use.

But it all seemed to work as my clean out would get a pile of flaky creosote in the bottom as I was burning an old wood furnace at the time.

rasmussenjohn65 said:
Hi all
I have a question about cleaning the chimney from the bottom up. Do I have to put a TEE at the point where the stove connects to the chimney pipe? this is a all metal pipe no blocks.

Or how is the best way to do it from the bottom up?

I understand that going from the top down is the best way to do it but with a 10/12 pich cleaning in mid season may be dangerous.

Thankful for any information

I think you would need a T . . . otherwise it would involve taking apart the chimney . . . in any case, having a T would make it easier.

I wouldn't necessarily say doing the top down method is the best way either . . . the advantage of the top down method is you can check and clean the cap if necessary. That said, I've never done a top down cleaning, only bottom up cleanings and the cap is good . . . burning at the proper temps, burning seasoned wood and having a large mesh screen helps though.

Status
Not open for further replies.