Bought 3 types of pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baston8005

Oct 17, 2007
East of Hartford, CT
Headed to Burn time Pellets in Bristol Ct. Was blown away by how many types of pellets they carry. I was like a kid in a candy shop. I have an old Mt. Vernon( 6th season) Quadrafire. She really likes softwood pellets. The creamier the pellet the better it burns. If the pellet is dark and has lots of diff colors, it means clinkers and cleaning my stove everyday...Hardwood pellets create havoc in the burn pot. Clinker galore.
I ended up with 6 bags of Spruce, 6 bags of pure fire premium (dry creek) and 5 bags of Omalley. In the past, the best I've burnt is LG, Dry Creek and Green supreme. Can't wait to try the Spruce and Omalley's.

Baston8005 said:
Headed to Burn time Pellets in Bristol Ct. Was blown away by how many types of pellets they carry. I was like a kid in a candy shop. I have an old Mt. Vernon( 6th season) Quadrafire. She really likes softwood pellets. The creamier the pellet the better it burns. If the pellet is dark and has lots of diff colors, it means clinkers and cleaning my stove everyday...Hardwood pellets create havoc in the burn pot. Clinker galore.
I ended up with 6 bags of Spruce, 6 bags of pure fire premium (dry creek) and 5 bags of Omalley. In the past, the best I've burnt is LG, Dry Creek and Green supreme. Can't wait to try the Spruce and Omalley's.

That gonna get ya thru the winter, is it?

hossthehermit said:
.......That gonna get ya thru the winter, is it?

LOL...I thought the same thing myself Hoss....I hope he's just getting a few of each so he can "test burn" them before buying a pellet pig sized load. ;-)

Baston8005 said:
How were their prices?......I had ordered 4 tons of dry creek from them in august at 300/ton kinda high but so were the rest of the stock they had.....even though i had my delivery date i kept searchin and found lignetics for 280/ton (still kinda high)....but the delivery was $80 cheaper then burn time. needless to say i canceled the order with burn time.

You guys are silly. 18 bags is all i need to get thru the winter. Suxs you buy by the ton!!!!!! LMAO Dry creek was 270 a ton

macman said:
hossthehermit said:
.......That gonna get ya thru the winter, is it?

LOL...I thought the same thing myself Hoss....I hope he's just getting a few of each so he can "test burn" them before buying a pellet pig sized load. ;-)

Well, mac, that's it then. We're just silly

hossthehermit said:
....Well, mac, that's it then. We're just silly

Yep, I guess so. Along with being silly, we might be a bit naive too. :blank:

Guess you guys are the forum police. LOL Yes I bought 3 types of pellets to try out. 18 bags will get me to mid Nov...maybe depending how cold it gets at night. Then I'll pick up 2 tons of pellets. Should get me to early Feb, then another 1.5 to 2 tons to finish the season. Hopefully.

Baston8005 said:
I have an old Mt. Vernon( 6th season) Quadrafire.
She really likes softwood pellets. The creamier the pellet the better it burns. ..Hardwood pellets
create havoc in the burn pot. Clinker galore. Can’t wait to try the Spruce and Omalley’s.

My Omalleys say premium hardwood pellets on the bag

Baston8005 said:
Guess you guys are the forum police. LOL Yes I bought 3 types of pellets to try out.........

No, far from it......we were just curious, as your original post wasn't clear that you were just buying bags to test out. I hope you'll post some results down the road....will be especially helpful to all the Mt. Vernon owners. Good luck! :)

BT is a great place to deal with. But this year I bought a few tons of Rocky Mountains to try out. My brand of choice had been WPI and dry creek, but the formulation must have changed and I had lot of chinkers and overflows in my burn pot last year. This year im a softwood pellet fan.

Baston8005 said:
Guess you guys are the forum police. LOL Yes I bought 3 types of pellets to try out. 18 bags will get me to mid Nov...maybe depending how cold it gets at night. Then I'll pick up 2 tons of pellets. Should get me to early Feb, then another 1.5 to 2 tons to finish the season. Hopefully.

Can't (or won't) speak for macman, but, "I don't need no steenking badges". Didn't mean to offend, but WAS curious. Some people do the ambience thing a couple times a month.

BTU said:
iron stove said:
BT is a great place to deal with. But this year I bought a few tons of Rocky Mountains to try out. My brand of choice had been WPI and dry creek, but the formulation must have changed and I had lot of chinkers and overflows in my burn pot last year. This year im a softwood pellet fan.

Now there is ONE SMART PELLET BUYER..!!!

Thanks, now that there are many more suppliers, and even more brands, Im expanding my pellet knowledge. I e-mailed the Okanagan people for a local dealer, and if they get some in stock, ill try a ton of those too.

Also cleaned out the stove and flue pipes today. Now just need some cold weather to try out those Rockies.

Status
Not open for further replies.