Bought a Baby Magnum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaw818

Oct 22, 2014
Minnesota
Hello all,

A while back I posted a thread inquiring about which direction to go for garage heat. I wanted 24/7 heat, so a traditional wood stove was out of the question, leaving me with 2 options; propane or corn, as that is the 2 heat sources I am already set up for in my home. Propane is cheap this year, but unlikely to stay that way, and if it does and corn/pellets get spendy I can throw a catalytic propane wall heater in there cheap and taking up no extra space.

So I found a deal Magnum Baby Countryside corn/ biomass/ wood pellet stove yesterday. It came with all the vertical exhaust pipe (the kind that also draws fresh outside air between the double walls, all the hardware, and even 2 55g drums of corn all for $400. I think I got a good deal. I would spend close to that for just the exhaust pipe..

However, I heat my home with an auburn, and I know nothing about these stoves aside from what I've read online, and people seem to like them and they seem to be in the upper price range for a new one.

Anyone who has experience with these stoves and can give me pointers on what to watch for, how to maintain, and anything else would be greatly appreciated.
Also, how long does a hopper last on the lowest setting? How often does the brick need to be dropped? And do I need to re-start the stove each time after the brick is dropped?

Thank you

I think there was a couple generations of that stove. One that was built in China and had numerous issues. Some owners have added a extra hole to help clean the upper end of stove. Hopefully others with one can chime in and give you and idea of its quirks and improvements. Have you gotten or downloaded a manual? Price of corn has been slowly going up. I will be burn a lot of propane this season as the last time I checked it was 93 cents a gallon.

Reactions: Jaw818
Corn should be dirt cheap this season as it is one of the best growing seasons in decades and since propane is so cheap, it's cheaper to dry it and there will be less of a fuel demand for it. So I hope it will be cheap. But I have an extra catalytic heater anyway, so installing it won't be much trouble to give me options.

The stove came with its original manual.

This model was bought new in 2008. The lady I got it from was the one who purchased it. She is 72 years old and claims that aside from having the auger motor replaced it has been trouble free. I like the simplicity of my auburn and the fact that I already know how it runs... But people want $1k or more for a used one these days, and I'm not willing to spend that on a stove for my garage.

Last edited:
I know the Auburn stoves have been holding their value very well even though they lack a self ignition and need more frequent cleaning. Solid performers burning corn. Have you tried using the search feature of this site? Bean harvest has started here and the corn is drying down fast, about ten days ahead of normal. Just don't know how well the eastern corn belt is going to fair with the very wet conditions. I bought corn 7/06/2014 for 3.46 and today would have to pay about 3.66/bu. Beets are looking to be 40% above normal production and farmers may have to till some under:(

We won't know the real outcome till oct or November, but I have a feeling if we wait till harvest it will be considerably lower than they predicted early in the season. Not sure how much the eastern states affect prices, but the grain belt is set up for a bumper crop this year.

Isn't there some sort of equation where you can figure out heating cost of corn vs propane? 99c is what I paid for propane and that is super cheap, but I don't know how a gallon of propane compares to a bushel of corn.

Your stoves manufacture has a converter available.

Propane is about 92k btu per gallon and corn is about 8-8.5k btus.per pound and standard bushel is 56lbs

i have this stove and love it. I did some modifications on mine to get it burning good. Burns so well I am gonna see how long I can run it this winter without opening the door. Fill it with pellets only. There are great threads on getting these running properly. Burning straight corn and burning pellets both have a learning curve with this stove. Any questions please ask.....

http://www.americanenergysystems.co...09TechBPlacementofTri-ModeModuleChip_TMC_.pdf

i have this stove and love it. I did some modifications on mine to get it burning good. Burns so well I am gonna see how long I can run it this winter without opening the door. Fill it with pellets only. There are great threads on getting these running properly. Burning straight corn and burning pellets both have a learning curve with this stove. Any questions please ask.....

Rafmt, glad to hear you like yours. What mods did you do? What is your process for dropping the clinker? I burn straight corn in my auburn and intend to do the same here, is there any reason I shouldn't?

Only reason I mix some pellets in with the corn on the Bixby is to keep the clinker from getting so hard the stove has a hard time ejecting the puck. Only takes a quart or so to a 5 gallon bucket.

Jaw818, Not sure if I can help you with the corn burning. I burn only pellets. check the gaskets on the ash pan door,main door. Keeps all the air going thru the burn pot. Good luck.

Here are my Baby CountrySide hopper fire pics . It was a bad one!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...side-ac-hopper-fire-a-bad-one-question.90845/

Here is my thread and video on a special cleaning upgrade to prevent hopper fires and keep the stove running like new!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ind-the-firebox-cleanout.107437/#post-1406446

Here is my thread on restoring a Magnuum Baby CountrySide with upgrades so it runs better than new!
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ow-has-new-lease-on-life.110617/#post-1462566

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.