Bought a chimney cleaning kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BC_Josh

Oct 23, 2023
Nelson, British Columbia
All these kits look the same, by many different brands (just as the plug-in tiny heaters do these days). So.... I found a cheaper one (Canadian dollars mind you) and bought a Vevor brand.... I liked that it is over 30 ft. long, in case I break a rod or two. Anyway, I likely should clean the chimney sooner than later since I've been burnin' away for a few months now. Does anyone else have this brand? Any good? Any tips for usage? Thanks.

Reactions: ctreitzell
Here is a pic of the thing:
Capture.JPG

Reactions: ctreitzell
They don’t take off glaze very well. I recommend a visual inspection after, but yes, they’ll knock most of the stuff off the walls.

They don’t take off glaze very well. I recommend a visual inspection after, but yes, they’ll knock most of the stuff off the walls.
Well, I just bought a fancy Blaze King brand moisture meter and read my wood, both fir and larch, which is all 14% moisture in the middle of freshly split pieces (same on the exterior of the wood). I doubt I'd have too much tarry stuff. I did poke a mirror into my fire box (when cold!) and looked up the chimney with a strong light..... it had light grey colored, ashy looking buildup, only a little though, like a smaller, almost microscopic version of a "popcorn stucco" ceiling in those old motels.

We use a soot eater. Same principle as yours. I run it in a cordless drill with the clutch almost slipping just in case it gets stuck there will be less chance of shearing. Works great I have a short 17-18 foot stack and burn hot so most all I get is a cup of fly ash. I send a cheap Harbor Freight bore scope up after just to make sure. Selling point for me is I have a super steep roof so I can clean from the bottom.

Reactions: BobcatBranch