1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Bought a Drolet HT2000!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by northernontario, Dec 28, 2012.

1. northernontario

northernontario Member

Loc:
    Ontario
    Currently sitting in the trailer at my father's place. On sale for 25% off at TSC here in ontario. Can't wait to get this thing in the house!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Congrats! Don't forget we like pictures
  3. Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI New Member

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    I'm going to a new stove in the next month or so, probably a HT-2000 as well, can't wait to hear how it works for you.

$995 US here at Fleet Farm, is that close to what you paid? TSC doesn't carry them here.
  4. northernontario

northernontario Member

Loc:
    Ontario
    Sale Price before tax was $1049. Lowest I've seen was $997 at Menards in the USA... By the time I drive the 10 hours across the border... I'll have spent several hundred on fuel!

Now to get the thing home (visiting family at the moment... Towing it home on the way)... And get the thing in the house.
    Steve NW WI likes this.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Enjoy. It's a good wood stove.
  6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Congrats ! Thats a nice stove from what I have seen !

Pete
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Oh great, now we're going to have global warming in northern Ontario. LOL Enjoy that big guy, it should keep you nice and cozy.
  8. northernontario

northernontario Member

Loc:
    Ontario
    Finally got it in the basement last night, and got it hooked up. Oh wow... this thing is nice. Haven't had it cranked out yet, but after a few hours of a nice low burn, I did let it get warmed up. Measuring flue temps (digital readout), once flue temps hit 800F, secondary burn kicks in and you can throttle the stove right down. It's actually quite amazing... watch the stove temp slowly climb with the damper 1/2 open (not trying to have a crazy hot fire really fast)... sitting in the 700's, creeping up slowly... once it hits about 800F, temp starts to jump like crazy. Throttle the stove down and watch the light show.

stove.JPG

Loaded it up before bed with a few splits (not packed full), and I still had a coal bed this morning (~7 hours). And not a tiny pile of coals that needs kindling to start up... a big pile of glowing red coals, waiting for some small splits.

My previous stove was also an EPA secondary burn stove... but about 1/3 the firebox size. It was a Flame XVR-II (made by SBI... same as Drolet). Nice stove, very well built, rated at 55,000btu. Loved that you could easily fit 18" wood in it... occasionally larger as well. But it just couldn't get nice long burn times because of the small firebox.

I don't have the blower on it yet, just the self-powered stove fan. Put out some nice heat. Still have to put the handle and pedestle surround on.
    Steve NW WI likes this.
  9. Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI New Member

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Just checking in to see how you're liking the new stove after a couple weeks of running it?

I'll likely be picking mine up later this week, and hoping to install it Saturday.
  10. northernontario

northernontario Member

Loc:
    Ontario
    I love it! Get the blower... it puts out even more heat. I can pack a lot of wood into that stove!
    Steve NW WI likes this.