Bought a Harman Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you install yourself? If so, how easy? If not, how much for electrician to come out and do it? I was a laborer for an electrician/ hvac company when I put myself through college and pick up some basic skills. Is this something only a pro should attempt?
I didn't do it, because I have a friend who is a licensed electrician, who did it when he wired my house. Over time, I've picked up a lot of basics, but I like to leave the electrical box to the pros. Having said that, this device looked super easy to install, and in hindsight, with the knowledge I have now, if I were to do it now, I'd do it myself and not bother my friend. Given your background, you should be able to do it. When you buy the unit, you'll be able to tell if it's something you can do. Mine's called an Intermatic Panelguard. Dunno how well it works, but in the 8 years I've had my home, nothing's ever gone out due to surges that I can tell, and I've got tons of electronics, as is the norm nowadays.

We'll, here it is. Finished the surround tonight. Heating pretty much the whole house and it's about 25 degrees outside. Seems to be eating a little less than a bag a day of O'Mally's. Don't have a thermometer upstairs but my best guess is around 68. First floor is about 75 in stove room, 73 on the rest of the floor. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Whole house surge protection is going on my 200 amp service Sunday, then I'm done. image.jpg

That looks excellent. Nice work. I plan on putting the same stove in this spring so I have a couple questions. First one is where is the stove plugged in, did you put in a outlet behind the stove? Where did you run the esp probe I do not see that either? Like I said I plan on putting the same exact stove in so this is not directed toward your stove at all it is at Harman. I have to say in my opinion I am a little disappointed with the appearance of the new 52i insert. It's not that I don't like the looks of the stove but I can't believe that they didn't add any brush nickel trim to the stove at all or have it for an option. Most all of there free standing stoves have that option and I think that they look really sharp with the brush nickel. Just my opinion.

That looks excellent. Nice work. I plan on putting the same stove in this spring so I have a couple questions. First one is where is the stove plugged in, did you put in a outlet behind the stove? Where did you run the esp probe I do not see that either? Like I said I plan on putting the same exact stove in so this is not directed toward your stove at all it is at Harman. I have to say in my opinion I am a little disappointed with the appearance of the new 52i insert. It's not that I don't like the looks of the stove but I can't believe that they didn't add any brush nickel trim to the stove at all or have it for an option. Most all of there free standing stoves have that option and I think that they look really sharp with the brush nickel. Just my opinion.
Thanks. As you can tell, I'm a real fan Of this stove, however it's early. Hopefully everything continues to run smooth. The receptacle is behind the stove. B/c of my setup, I had to use a. Zero clearance cabinet that adds 300 to cost. Worth it to me. You may want to read the thread about my surge protection issue. As far as the probe, it is under my fireplace unseen. I wondered why a longer cord was not used. It's something I have to look into. As for trim accent, I'm more a fan if subtlety. I actually think Regency's gci60 is a better looking unit, but I prefer the way this one operates over all other contenders. Good luck with your choice.

Looks great, This weekend I will be placing my order in for the 52i... I will be getting the OAK despite the fact the dealer said it would only add 3% efficiency? I'm more concerned that I have 2 outside walls of glass and I will be sitting between the glass and the unit - thinking there will be a draft. Despite all the yay/nay on OAK, I guess I'd rather be pushing warm air out instead of cold air in - that simple, although others will chime in. I am also opting for the professional install for both warranty and insurance purposes. I would prefer to invest in pellets, but I'm not looking back should a problem arise. My electric will be a cord down the fireplace clean out tot the basement and then to the outlet next to the 200 amp service. reading the threads, I plan on a whole house surge protector. I just also add that this site has been a tremendous and valuable resource for information. The woodpile pic is 7 cords I burn annually for my cat Jotul Fireside. I will still keep as there is nothing but joy from a radiant stove...love coffee in the morning and beer at night sitting next to it!

Yes the Regencys and Quads that I have seen are better looking stoves than the Harman I feel. I agree with you and I like the way the Harman operates also from what I have seen at my local dealers and all the reviews on here. That's why I decided on the 52i. I think that they told me that the esp cord was suppose to be located above the stove but I could be wrong. I plan on placing a receptacle behind my stove also. It looks a lot nicer than having a cord running across your hearth.

Very nice clean looking install and I'm glad it's all working out for you !

Deercamp, the esp probe is inside the stack of the stove measuring exhaust temp. You are thinking of the Room Temp Probe that monitors the rooms temp and adjusts burn through the control panel accordingly. There is no really right spot to place it, except a wrong spot would be in a direct drafty area of a room or too close to the floor. What is important is to learn the offset of what the room actually is regarding temp and what the probe thinks it is based on where it is reading from. Once you know that differential or once you find the spot that has no differential you are good to go. And yes the probe can be extended using thermostat wire, to which I have not done yet I might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.