Bought a Mint Huskee 28 ton Splitter-what to look out for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gang,

I just bought a barely-used Huskee 28 ton splitter. There have been some threads lately about low fluid levels, broken "loveyjoys" , etc. I went 50/50 with a guy who is a small engine mechanic. Any advice on what he should be looking for? he will be giving the machine a thorough physical before we start using it. Thanks.

Change motor oil, hydro filter check fulid, air filter, and a new spark plug. Enjoy!

Reserviors are known for cracks but if you don't road it then your be OK. Beam foots are known for bending but Speeco is real good about replacing bents beams. Return hoses known to leak but that is a 10cent fix. Other than that enjoy.

i don't know if there's a difference but i think the most recent issues (at least the ones i've read by lukems and intheswamp) referred to 22 ton splitters. Not sure if it matters

My 30 ton HF splitter, and other makes I believe, perhaps of approx. 2006 vintage, had leaks from the cylinder ram caused by improper assembly (my case, missing o-ring and loose retaining nut). So, don't mess around if you see a leak there from a barely used unit.

yooperdave said:
c'mon man...what price did you weasel it down to???

Used twice, $1000.00

Pressure line should have hydraulic fittings, but the return line often just has hose clamps. Make sure those clamps are secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.