Bought a moisture meter.... happily surprised.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Donnie Brasco

Feeling the Heat
May 29, 2012
East Central Kansas
I bought a MM from HD and it arrived today. It was cheap and I wanted to get an idea what my moisture levels are.
MOST of my stuff was cut as dead standing, the only green wood I got was ash and hackberry.

The hackberry and ash that I split about 8 weeks ago is 22% on a FRESH split of a large wedge!
The Ash is about the same.

My oak... a FRESH split of a round that was 2 feet across...27-30%

Checked a few Oak wedges that were pretty large and I was concerned but almost all were 22-25%

The surprise was the CSS walnut and Mullberry.... each were 25%. after sitting CSS for about 4 weeks.

I didn't expect ANY of this stuff to be "dry" but I figured the huge rounds might be higher, and some of the splits would be lower, but I am happy with my Ash and Hackberry for the fall, and I think I will re-split my oak and mullberry to bring it down to acceptable levels!

Those numbers seem correct. Just think, if you keep up the pace that your going, next year you'll be able to relax a bit and enjoy your wood stacks.;)

Lookin good Donnie!! It will be interesting to see where they are at by this fall

Those numbers seem correct. Just think, if you keep up the pace that your going, next year you'll be able to relax a bit and enjoy your wood stacks.;)
The way he worksite don't think that will happen too much, he will find something to do

[quoar="swagler85, post: 1468320, member: 22066"]The way he worksite don't think that will happen too much, he will find something to do[/quote]
You are right... I HATE sitting still...afraid my age will catch me!

I am 99% sure I am going to re-split EVERYTHING smaller and restack in SINGLE rows... if I can find the room!

That oak is tricky. It could stay at 25% for a year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.