Bought a new Maul , nice .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roospike

Nov 19, 2005
Eastern Nebraska
Picked up a new splitting maul last week , ordered it off the net as i have read a lot of good reviews on it.

I split all my wood with a 8.5 hp 28 ton splitter but i like to "fine tune" the wood pile as it come up to the house . When splitting wood i mix up the sizes but dont split too many smaller piece's like needed in the Fall and Spring.

I decided to go with a good Maul as the axe just wasn't cutting it ( ha, ha ) I have used some of the mauls from the farm & box stores and i just did seem to like them very well and after doing some research i went with the Helko Vario - 2000 heavy slpitting maul w/ 5 lbs head.
Now this baby is very nice and is the best i have used so far. I dont know how it does on green wood but seasoned wood it works great. I can fine tune my logs as they come to the back porch and get the perfect sizes needed. I dont mind doing a little splitting by hand but i'm glad i didnt have to do the 16 cords i have with a maul , I'm used to splitting in a few days and at my speed with the maul it would take 6 months ......... ;-) Its one thing to log all this wood but i'm just not a swinger at heart (when it come to wood). :lol:

Anyway i would give this Helko Vario - 2000 maul/axe an A+ on quality and style , fit and durability. The head is replaceable or should i say the handle is.
Solid USA Hickory handle and the Maul is made in Germany.

Web site is http://www.hartvillet.com/product/11718

The item is "36058 (A) Helko 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe $67.99 " + $9.oo shipping .
Maul shipped out right away and i had it in 5 days per UPS

Attachments

• Dsc01461.jpg
    Dsc01461.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,486
  • Helko 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe.JPG
    Helko 2300G Heavy Splitting Axe.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,990
Nice looking maul ROO. How much are the handles for it?

Looks like someone actually thought about what they were building and the application..The way they designed that handle attachment should protect the sides as it goes through the rounds.

I used to use 36 inch hickory handles but could never get through more than 5 cords without snapping the head off, used to at least get 10 cord out of handle, would bring the handle to a buddy with a lathe and get it turned for a second use..

Put one of those fiberglass handles from home cheapo and it has been good, lot less vibration..

Roo how is the vibration with that thing when you hit a nasty one? You be stylin with that one!

Vintage 181 said:
Looks like someone actually thought about what they were building and the application..The way they designed that handle attachment should protect the sides as it goes through the rounds.

I used to use 36 inch hickory handles but could never get through more than 5 cords without snapping the head off, used to at least get 10 cord out of handle, would bring the handle to a buddy with a lathe and get it turned for a second use..

Put one of those fiberglass handles from home cheapo and it has been good, lot less vibration..

Roo how is the vibration with that thing when you hit a nasty one? You be stylin with that one!
We'll see how this one last . The gas splitter does the main splitting so this maul i dont thing will get over worked ( nor will I )

The vibration in this maul is less than my fiberglass handles on my axe and sledge . ( odd i know )
Holding on to the back end of the 36" handle and the 5 lbs head make a lot of force.

bruce56bb said:
spike, what flavor of wood are you splitting?
Hickory , Elm , W/R Oak , Hackberry , Locust , Mulberry , some Hedge , Walnut and a small silver Maple got thrown in from a neighbor. Nice little mix. I would say 50% this years ended up being Elm from all the paid take downs i did doing my "urban logging thing"
I stil have a huge Hackberry tree take out with 4 hudge leaders from the base but power lines are an issue and the electric company would prefer to have it fall on the lines this winter than to pop the leading branch off for the drop.

Hi Roo,

NIce maul. I used the 3# Fiskars maul from HD for a long time and it worked fine except for the largest rounds. At everyones advise, I bought an 8# maul with fiberglass handle. That works good to and makes you feel like a real man. Much easier splitting.

Yours looks like a perfect merge between both the ones I have. Love the head design too.

Keep us informed on how it performs.

Thanks

Carpniels

I am sure this will be the first time I have said this, so here goes.

That is a BEAUTIFUL spiltting maul! WOW! I would want to hang that thing on my wall.

But, I am afraid that I will be sticking with old faithful, for now.

Awesome Spike!

Status
Not open for further replies.