Bought a new wood cart today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
The metal wagon that is heavily advertised all over broke down on my last weekend. The wagon is one of those metal "gorilla" type wagons. I bought it at Tractor Supply. I have fixed the steering mechanism twice already, but it finally broke after only 1-1/2 years of use! Very dissappointing and very light duty for an otherwise good hauler. (see photos) I only haul wood from my stacks to the wood shed- about 150 feet.

I was going past a store in Waukegan, IL today and they had a nice little 6 cubic foot, 1,000 lbs. capacity wagon for $37. I figured I can't go wrong for that price. My only concern is that the plastic might break in winter if a log is tossed into it.

Does anyone have one of these? I'm strongly advising against the steel mesh wagon. Not only is the steering flimsy, but the mesh is no match for a log tossed into it.

Attachments

• IMAG0615.jpg
    IMAG0615.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 704
  • IMAG0616.jpg
    IMAG0616.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 701
  • IMAG0617.jpg
    IMAG0617.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 728
I have a little different version of the yellow one that has held up real well.

The green one looks real nice but I dont know how the plastic will get after a few years of exposure

If youre into tossing the splits a metal tubbed wheel barrow might be your best bet.

I'm looking for a new hauler for the ATV. The 10 cu. ft. Quad Boss is just not big enough to be efficient when hauling from the back side of the property (18 acres, longish). Due to a steep hill I think I want something with electric brakes and narrow for the tight ATV trails. Have thought about enlisting a buddy's welding skills to make a custom job.

I have been using a plastic 4 wheel wagon for the past couple of years and it has held up pretty well. It's one marketed for yerd work and is not all that large but I stack quite a load of wood on it for the 20' trip to the boiler shed. Tossing wood into it is not really an option as it all just bounces out , don't tell my wife it's her garden cart !

I bet the steel one would hold up a helluva lot better if you lined it with 3/8 or 1/2 plywood. I have a steels trailer and lined it with 3/8 and it takes all kinds of abuse. Am actually thinking of buying a second and connecting them like little mini A-trains to get more wood hauled per load.

I have a green metal one that is much like your yellow one. The wheels look a bit heavier duty on mine. Been using it for 6 years now.

I bought the gorilla this year for wood hauling inside my house. My wife is very particular with keeping the bugs and crawlers out of the house as much as possible. This will replace a wood/log carrying bag we have been using for years now. hopefully this will be a little easier on the body too then the bag.

i have the yellow wagon as well,i put a piece of scrap plywood in and she takes a real beating
i think you will miss having 4 wheels!

I'm nervous about missing 4 wheels too, but it was only $35. If I made a mistake, I'll buy a heavy duty wagon from Northern Tool.

They make 2 different carts, one 800 lb, and one 1000 lb, I have one of each, one for wood, and one I tricked out for taking my oldest kid to the zoo in when she was in her spika cast. the 1000 pounder I have used to move a I8 diesel at about 900 lbs, and it held up fine, plus used it to cart wood for 2 years now. its dented up, but so am I so I can't complain too much!

Cascade Failure said:
I'm looking for a new hauler for the ATV. The 10 cu. ft. Quad Boss is just not big enough to be efficient when hauling from the back side of the property (18 acres, longish). Due to a steep hill I think I want something with electric brakes and narrow for the tight ATV trails. Have thought about enlisting a buddy's welding skills to make a custom job.

After looking at wood hauling trailers for my quad I ended up buying a cheap harbor freight trailer ~ $150 and built sides and bottom for it. I have loaded this thing to the gills with heavy green wood and it works great, I was most concerned with rutting the yard, no concerns what so ever! If you search around on CL I am sure you could find one used for even cheaper. Just a thought as these trailers can get pricy quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.