Bought a stove today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Today I picked up a Lopi Endeavor from my local dealer! I bought it with the black door, black legs and a blower. It won't be installed for a while but I'm pretty excited about it. I know summer isn't even here yet but I find a small part of me wanting cold weather! :)

Congrats, it's going to be agonizing waiting all summer long to fire that baby up.

I certainly hope you'll enjoy your Endeavor as much as we've enjoyed ours. This past winter was the first time we've truly been warm in our house during the winter. The Endeavor is a solid little stove, and the bypass damper feature is so handy at cleaning time. Be sure to follow up with stove pr0n pics after the install! ;-)

Weather makes no difference. You WILL build a fire in it after the install. Hell, I fired mine off in August just because I had replaced the liner. It's a wood burner thing. You can't help it. Open windows are a good thing. Wife just shakes her head.

Congrats on buying a great stove and look forward to a toasty house next winter.

BrotherBart said:
Weather makes no difference. You WILL build a fire in it after the install. Hell, I fired mine off in August just because I had replaced the liner. It's a wood burner thing. You can't help it. Open windows are a good thing. Wife just shakes her head.

Congrats on buying a great stove and look forward to a toasty house next winter.

I waited from April to Sept. to break in the Jotul. I should've just had a fire to get it out of my system. If you don't the summer just feels longer and hotter.

Todd said:
Congrats, it's going to be agonizing waiting all summer long to fire that baby up.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have a small fire at some point since all the pipes will be new and will let off some stink the fire couple fires. I have to do that when it's warm enough to open the windows! ;)

Pagey said:
I certainly hope you'll enjoy your Endeavor as much as we've enjoyed ours. This past winter was the first time we've truly been warm in our house during the winter. The Endeavor is a solid little stove, and the bypass damper feature is so handy at cleaning time. Be sure to follow up with stove pr0n pics after the install! ;-)

I'm sure we will, the Lopi line seems to be a quality product from what I can see.

BrotherBart said:

Thanks! We only have the choice of propane or oil where I'm at and we're on the "pane" we keep the house 66* during the day and 60* from 10pm-6am. I'm not looking for 80's but if I can get a nice/comfy 70-72 life will be good!

Now I just have to hope my wood seasons decent enough over the summer. I know the cord of ash I cut this year and 3/4 cord of oak from last summer will be good but after that will be a roll of the dice. I have a couple more standing dead ash that I'll be cutting/splitting after I catch up on my current piles.

Hey rdust, you should have had it installed already because you could use it now! Frost tonight again. I wish it would warm up some.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey rdust, you should have had it installed already because you could use it now! Frost tonight again. I wish it would warm up some.

Here in Middle TN, we went from "dogwood winter" to highs in the low 80s in the span of just a few days. The last week has been nothing but rain, rain, rain. I stopped by my grandmother's yesterday, and she lacked 1/2" having 10" of rain in 10 days. My yard is a freakin' swamp! I certainly miss settling down to a good fire at night, but I don't miss carrying in an armload of wood whilst crossing the soupy yard.

Backwoods Savage said:

It would be nice if it was but I'm figuring out if I want to build a hearth pad or just buy a pre-made one and call it a day. The stove will have to stay tucked away in the garage till I get that finished.

Congratulations rdust, I look forward to hearing and seeing your glowing reports. You might want to go ahead and stick a temporary 8'stack on the stove and fire it up outside a couple times to bake in the paint. That'll save you a bit of startup smokiness once it's burning indoors.

BeGreen said:
Congratulations rdust, I look forward to hearing and seeing your glowing reports. You might want to go ahead and stick a temporary 8'stack on the stove and fire it up outside a couple times to bake in the paint. That'll save you a bit of startup smokiness once it's burning indoors.

Thanks! That's great advise, I try to do that.

Not sure how things are where you live, but here, that would disallow the installation of the stove in the inspector's eyes.

In my town (and I know in some surrounding towns as well), you can't burn in a stove at all before it has been inspected. And, they don't "allow" new installs of used stoves from what the inspector said, so burning in a new stove before it has been inspected would automatically fail the inspection.

So, you may want to check with your local inspector before you burn in it...

newstove said:
Not sure how things are where you live, but here, that would disallow the installation of the stove in the inspector's eyes.

In my town (and I know in some surrounding towns as well), you can't burn in a stove at all before it has been inspected. And, they don't "allow" new installs of used stoves from what the inspector said, so burning in a new stove before it has been inspected would automatically fail the inspection.

That seems bizarre in so many ways. You can't install a used stove ? Me thinks that inspector has some "issues". Many of them seem to.
Luckily, we don't have to deal with them for much here in VT. Only for septic systems. I had a 15x30 2-story addition built onto my house. No permit or inspection necessary. Same with the chimney and woodstove. I installed "by the book" and documented the process with photos in case my insurance company was interested.

newstove said:

I guess I should check to see if an inspection is required in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.