Bought a thermometer today- have a couple questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
I bought a Rutland magnetic thermometer today, because I have an insert and can't read the flue. I stuck the thermometer on the upper left corner of the left hand door, above the glass. My questions are these- will this do any good? Can I get a reliable reading where it is, or one that translates to anything meaningful? After burning down the coals, I loaded the stove full with large splits (getting ready for bed), let it run wide open for about fifteen minutes, then shut the damper all the way, and the draft controls all the way. Right now the thermometer reads 650. What do you think? Thanks for the replies- still learning everyday!

The thermometer temps are are somewhat relative. It sounds like you have done it correctly. Perhaps if you had it on the stove top (non insert) it might be reading 50-100 deg higher. But regardless, the thermometer in it's current location will give you a good relative indication of how the fire is burning.

BeGreen said:
The thermometer temps are are somewhat relative. It sounds like you have done it correctly. Perhaps if you had it on the stove top (non insert) it might be reading 50-100 deg higher. But regardless, the thermometer in it's current location will give you a good relative indication of how the fire is burning.

Okay, thanks a lot. Does the temp reading sound okay? Too high/low? It only stayed that high for about 45 mins, right now it's at 400. Seems like I'm going through those large splits pretty fast! Damn, this beast eats wood!

BeGreen: thanks you are the first one to give us insert guys a decent guesstimate. I have always wondered about that , usually try to burn between 250 and 450 with my front mounted thermometer. So that would actuallyl be 300-350 on the low end and 500-550 on the high end. And according to my thermometer that is out of the creosote zone. And mine is made for a front mount.

Might try to burn a little bit higher for awhile, like another 100 degrees. At both ends.

I don't know brooktrout this is kind of new to me too.

I have a thermometer on the lower step of our Quadra-fire 4300. With the middle control in for maximum burn the temp is mostly 400-425.

We didn't get a manual with the stove but I like burning more on the hot side for ash removal sakes...ample wood is not problem for us. We just want the heat and the coals to burn done.

Any opinions if 400 is too hot? thanks.

savageactor7 said:

I have a thermometer on the lower step of our Quadra-fire 4300. With the middle control in for maximum burn the temp is mostly 400-425.

We didn't get a manual with the stove but I like burning more on the hot side for ash removal sakes...ample wood is not problem for us. We just want the heat and the coals to burn done.

I don't know either- I have heard members here talk of temps ranging from a couple hundred up to a couple thousand. They talk of flue readings, stack temps, temps in the firebox, temps on the stove tops, rectal temps, hiring temps.... T'm trying to figure it all out.

savageactor7 said:

Doesn't seem too hot. What temp are you getting if you place the thermometer on the upper step, about 6" away from the flue?

BeGreen said:
savageactor7 said:

Doesn't seem too hot. What temp are you getting if you place the thermometer on the upper step, about 6" away from the flue?
I decided not to try that approach because the Buckstove is a triple wall with exhaust on all sides, including the top, and with the surround, it would be at least a foot away. The blower has a thermostat and is three speed. The manual says if the fan kicks on high, the stove is too hot. I topped out at about 750 today, and the blower hadn't kicked on high. What kind of stack temp do you think that would translate to? Thanks for your help on temp readings- I think a sticky would be helpful, explaining the various locations of temp readings, types of themometers, and what the readings mean in relation to each other. I think there are a lot of us newer burners who are baffled by the temp lingo. Thanks again.

True, I was asking savageactor about his step top stove.

There are too many stove types and situations for a universal answer. I would be just guessing if I gave you a number. Probably the most accurate reading for an insert is to use a good, infrared thermometer. Open the door and measure the fire temp in the secondaries. Then close the door, let it heat back up, and read off the door and you'll have a relative reading. On some stoves you can also temporarily remove the surround or a section of it and take a reading off the pipe.

With a 750 deg reading I would expect the fan to come on. That's hot for the front of the stove. How old is the snap switch? Maybe it needs replacing?

BeGreen, I just opened my door and took a reading off the secondary pipes, and it must be over 999*F because my Raytek Minitemp infrared thermometer reads blank. on the Rutland magnetic sitting on the insert's top above the door it is reading about 550. This is with air shut down about 1/2 way, good secondaries. Is that a good temp in your opinion?

Actual fire temp over 1000 is normal. Sounds like the stove is running right with above the door temp about 50% of the actual fire temp.

Cool. Thanks BeGreen. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this thing... Note to self: no wet frozen bark in stove. :eek:hh:

BeGreen said:
True, I was asking savageactor about his step top stove.

There are too many stove types and situations for a universal answer. I would be just guessing if I gave you a number. Probably the most accurate reading for an insert is to use a good, infrared thermometer. Open the door and measure the fire temp in the secondaries. Then close the door, let it heat back up, and read off the door and you'll have a relative reading. On some stoves you can also temporarily remove the surround or a section of it and take a reading off the pipe.

With a 750 deg reading I would expect the fan to come on. That's hot for the front of the stove. How old is the snap switch? Maybe it needs replacing?
Sorry I missed your question the other day- the blower is automatic three speed, thermostatically controlled. It only comes on high when you switch it to manual, or the stove gets above 800, according to the rutland themometer on my door. This happens very rarely, maybe two or three times ever. The manual says that when the fan kicks into high, that is an indication that the stove is too hot. The couple times it did that, I opened the damper all the way, opened both doors, and put in the screen. It cooled down pretty quick then. She's been cruising at about 500 for a couple hours tonite, and I've got it down so there is only 2-3 degree difference between all the rooms.
By the way, I really appreciate the massive amount of knowledge gained from this site! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.