1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Bought a used Santa Fe, wired around vacuum switch?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bookpile, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The Contour is an older model, but doesn't mean that it has CSS.

Also, the Combustion blower should be removed at least once a yr (the area you need to clean) according to the manual

As for CSS, some older Quads (Contour, 800, 1000, etc) did start up in the heat level selected (opposed to the New Quads starting in High, regardless of heat setting). But that Does Not mean that the older units wont start on Low or Medium
    All the new Heatilators run just like the Older Quads. They start up in the heat setting they are on, just as the old box stoves. They start fine as does any other stove that is clean, has a good ignitor, clean vent, maintained motors and.blowers, and feed rate set correctly.

CSS is a made up term, related to this site only.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    CSS, Ah yes. Know it well. My little 800 also suffer from it. Seeing it resided in a cool basement was deemed the issue. My work around was add 1 to 2 extra hand fulls of pellets to the pot before I fired it off. Seemed to fire every time, But what fire it had. Sound of it would startle you once it got rolling and lots of smoke too. But it worked. Mine didn't seem to be vacuum related. It was not getting the thermal couple hot enough. Wasn't a speed thing either. It only had one speed(hi).

Can't really knock it as it kept us warm for 9 seasons and no major parts. I did change the convection 160º snap disk, But later found a hidden chamber that had an ash build up. Kept the old one for a spare. She served us well, Just needed to be in a warmer place.
  3. Countryboymo

Countryboymo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    W Central MO
    1k to 1500.00 around here in good shape.
  4. Bioburner

Bioburner Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    West central Mn
    I just had a test fired only Lennox Montage shipped up from MO from a dealer for less than that last week.
  5. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    CSS of Cold Start Syndrome is not made up! Sure if the house the stove is in, never goes below 50 degrees then, you will not see the problem. The problem is that for stoves that do not run their exhaust fans on high during the start up cycle have a very hard time starting when the temp is below 30 deg f. I have seen this problem first hand. At 30 Deg F or below there is not enough vacuum to keep the auger turning during the start up cycle. That is a real problem with stoves in a cabin, shed or a very cold basement!
  6. Bill P. Stovers

Bill P. Stovers New Member

Loc:
    Northwest CT
    Good news!
    I replaced the vacuum switch and the rope gasket.
    And I gave it a real good cleaning.

Most important I used a Spray Creosote remover.
    This stuff is awesome. I sprayed it in every nook and cranny in the pot, firebox and exhaust fan.
    When the stove hits 500 degrees it blows all the soot out.

It cleaned out the void area aft of the exhaust blower. On start up, it has that little whistle when the pellets start burning.
    Have not heard that in a awhile. And a real good low rumble when fully running.

Runs like a brand new stove.
    ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.