'Bought a used saw for the first time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexter

Aug 9, 2007
Boulder County, CO
Oh boy, oh boy! My old .025 (old version of the ms 250) Stihl has always been a little underpowered for the bigger wood jobs, but has been light, easy to maintain, and very reliable. However, last summer I noted that it was getting awfully easy to pull through (magneto off.) When I told the guy at the local shop that I cut about 8 to 10 cords per year with it, for about 14 years, he looked incredulous. 'Said that was a lot of wood for that level of saw. Well, I've done some calculating, and figure I've put about 1200 to 1300 hours on it. The fellow said that 800 to 1000 hours is about the life expectancy for that saw. Be that as it may, I'm keeping it for limbing & such as long as it runs. I might even put the off-brand piston & ring kit in it if it gets too "soft." The kits are cheap.

But -- I went out and bought a used saw today (private party): a 1 1/2 year old MS 270-C. It was advertised as "lightly used". Well, OK, but it isn't in bad shape, the price was right, and it runs great. I can't wait to try it out. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!

Regards,

Dexter

Dexter said:
I can't wait to try it out.
Wow, you bought it without trying it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.