Bought Cape Cod today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnerdog

Jan 31, 2014
Cincinnati
First, I just discovered this forum last night - wow! So much good information and very nice people sharing. If only other forums would have the politeness of this one!

Anyway, been burning wood for about 14 years. My wife owns upstairs with the Xtrordinair, which cranks heat! I own the downstair bar / pool / big screen TV room with at HS Shelburne.

Cincinnati has been cold this year and I have been a bit fed up with the HS over past few years- just couldn't keep up with 1300sq ft basement - just took too long to heat up and my basement is a secondary living area, except for weekends.....so heating up in a hurray is important. Buddy says lets shoot some pool and I am thinking how long will it take to warm up the basement.....

So, I made the call today for the Cape Code with blower and magic starting button. Any suggestions on this stove welcome - hoping for faster heat for my weekend evening entertainment.......and my competition with my wife upstairs.....

Dry Wood 20% or less Moisture content measured with a Moisture meter. get one at Lowes dont trust the wood man that says yes its seasoned. These stove wont burn with green wood.

But Welcome, I am about 50 miles from you. Go Reds!!!!

Heating up in a hurry ain't gonna happen with a cast iron stove.

Reactions: webby3650
Split your wood smaller for quicker heat up.

Heating up in a hurry ain't gonna happen with a cast iron stove.
That's right on! Quick heat isn't happening with cast. There is no doubt it will heat the space a few times over, but a little steel stove would be the ticket for quick heat. And will be a few grand cheaper!

Reactions: BrotherBart
I have a feeling with heating 1300 sqft with the cod we will soon hear its to much stove for the space. Hopefully not though.

Yeah back when I could see the nine ball would have dropped ten times before it got warm down there.

I have a feeling with heating 1300 sqft with the code we will soon hear its to much stove for the space. Hopefully not though.

It is Cod. Not Code. Take notes. ;lol

Dry Wood 20% or less Moisture content measured with a Moisture meter. get one at Lowes dont trust the wood man that says yes its seasoned. These stove wont burn with green wood.

But Welcome, I am about 50 miles from you. Go Reds!!!!
I live on 100 acres, so i am wood man. This forum has reminded me of the value of dry wood. Even though I hve been burning for 14 years, I still get busy and some years I get the wood stacked too late and get the wrath of my wife.

On that note - anyone have a good link to building a vented wood shed structure to store aged wood?

I live on 100 acres, so i am wood man. This forum has reminded me of the value of dry wood. Even though I hve been burning for 14 years, I still get busy and some years I get the wood stacked too late and get the wrath of my wife.

On that note - anyone have a good link to building a vented wood shed structure to store aged wood?

Post in the Wood Shed room and you will get buried in advice.

Keep us updated on how you like the Cape Cod please.

YES! What he said! Very very interested to hear about your experiences with the Cape Cod. Please DO share photos when you can and updates to your burning practices and resulting heating.

Reactions: NVHunter
YES! What he said! Very very interested to hear about your experiences with the Cape Cod. Please DO share photos when you can and updates to your burning practices and resulting heating.

CC is a beast! Exactly what I was looking for, although the Green Start isn't quite what I expected - requires small pieces that might be just as well started with newspaper...

Status
Not open for further replies.