Bought firewood today from a guy who doesn`t heat with wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
First let me say that this is a decent fellow. His ad in the paper states oversized cords,ready to burn.

Um, not quite, slilghtly less than a cord. Moisture meter reads some pieces 15%, and others around 30%. This is done after resplitting and drilling holes to get the probe in a fair distance. I will buy from this guy again, cause he is not dishonest, he just doesn`t know that much about firewood, cept if it seems light, it must be ready to burn.

I will buy from him again next spring, cause I know that all of it will be ready to burn come late fall. This is because unlike some others, where the moisture meter was "off the scales", his stuff is quite decent. Same old story I suppose, don`t buy in the fall or middle of winter. If you never do the aforementioned, you will never be dissapointed.

If he's a decent and honest guy, and you establish a relationship with him like it sounds you've started to, he's gonna know who you are when you call, and he's gonna know what you expect. If he delivers good to his word, and you think the price is fair, then what more could a consumer ask? I have two such wood suppliers whom I trust to deliver fair sized loads of good wood for a fair price. They know I'm going to measure it and check it (at least qualitatively, maybe with the meter) for how well seasoned it is, and they understand and expect that. They want my continued business. I've bought some wood from a couple of others who will never hear my voice on the phone again. Buy smart, burn smart. Rick

Over the years I have a few (10-20) cords of wood for heat. There have been a few dissapointments but, one guy always delivered more than the cord I payed for. He didn't stack but after I stacked the wood he delivered there was always 1 1/8 or more. Some cordwood salesman are honest but, there is always one who tells you he can get a cord on an 8 foot bed pickup.

A few years back, I was desperate for firewood and called a guy advertising in the paper. He said it had been "seasoning" for a few years and dropped off a cord of wood that was so rotten, I could jab a screwdriver 3/4" into the outside after taking off the bark. It was also about 25% short of a cord. I called him back and complained and eventually threatened him with a lawsuit (a bit rash, but I was PISSED). He eventually refunded some money and I lost his phone number. It did burn, but sizzled like a steak and I needed to throw some charcoal into the stove to get it going in the meantime. I learned quickly the value of good seasoned wood. That was probably the beginning of the end for the 'ol Fisher.

I have a couple of tree guys that drop off occasional truckloads of stuff they would ordinarily dump in the landfill. I drop a couple Jacksons and maybe a case of something cold on them and they're happy. They don't wreck the yard and it gives me something to do on the weekends. If I were paying real money for firewood, my expectations would be a little higher, but I don't want to pay $200 a cord either. I've even had to jump start one of their trucks to get them on their way. It's a give and take world out there...

Chris

Redox said:
...If I were paying real money for firewood, my expectations would be a little higher, but I don't want to pay $200 a cord either. I've even had to jump start one of their trucks to get them on their way. It's a give and take world out there...Chris

I pay real money for firewood, and I have yet to pay $200/cord...but close to that if I want it split. Won't be long before I have to, I reckon. I agree entirely with Chris on it being a give & take world. Get to know your suppliers, help them unload, ask about their kids, be interested in them and their lives (so long as they're there with you...maybe longer, you might be surprised). :bug: The guys I buy wood from just do it either on the side or as part of a plethora of things they're involved with. They get Forest Service permits and go out into the public lands and fell, limb, buck, and haul, and (if you want) split, and deliver. They provide a very valuable service to old (but pretty busy) woodburners like me. I've gotten to know them, and I trust them, and I think they appreciate my business. We treat each other fairly, and the world just keeps on turning. If I were a theist, I'd sing Kumbaya now, but I'll spare you all that. Rick

fossil said:
Redox said:
...If I were paying real money for firewood, my expectations would be a little higher, but I don't want to pay $200 a cord either. I've even had to jump start one of their trucks to get them on their way. It's a give and take world out there...Chris

I pay real money for firewood, and I have yet to pay $200/cord...but close to that if I want it split. Won't be long before I have to, I reckon. I agree entirely with Chris on it being a give & take world. Get to know your suppliers, help them unload, ask about their kids, be interested in them and their lives (so long as they're there with you...maybe longer, you might be surprised). :bug: The guys I buy wood from just do it either on the side or as part of a plethora of things they're involved with. They get Forest Service permits and go out into the public lands and fell, limb, buck, and haul, and (if you want) split, and deliver. They provide a very valuable service to old (but pretty busy) woodburners like me. I've gotten to know them, and I trust them, and I think they appreciate my business. We treat each other fairly, and the world just keeps on turning. If I were a theist, I'd sing Kumbaya now, but I'll spare you all that. Rick

Actually, I was wrong!! finally got it all stacked and measured. it is a full cord. maybe I will post a pic of it in the sunshine. Or just tell, you that ya can see by the gray ends that which is truly "ready to burn" and that which is not. Like I stated previously, this guy is basically quite honest, he was here for at least an hour after delivering the wood talking about job opps etc. And keep in mind that he doesn`t even burn wood in his own home. He is just scrounging for an extra tax free buck or two, and who can blame him?

This was just a little bit of extra wood on hand for me, always, always, I will stick with the same guy I have been buying from for the past 10 years, only reason I bought this is because like Lee said, getting expensive to deliver and my regular supplier won`t deliver less than 2 cords csd. And at this time I just didn`t feel that I have the room for another full 2 cords.

But Rick you are right on the money about making the guy bringing you the wood feel comfy. Actually I will pm you about this ,, think you might find this interesting?

I've only known one guy who sold cord wood (on the side for a little extra cash).
He didn't pay his aching back anywhere near enough to make it "worthwhile" in my opinion.

I will and try and post a pic or two of my cord. Maybe it will show up on the screen the difference between the ready to burn (gray ends) and the not quite ready just yet. Decent fellow like I said and will buy from him again.

Attachments

• big screen 001.jpg
    big screen 001.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 266
sonnyinbc said:
I will and try and post a pic or two of my cord. Maybe it will show up on the screen the difference between the ready to burn (gray ends) and the not quite ready just yet. Decent fellow like I said and will buy from him again.

is that 2x16' looks good

iceman said:
sonnyinbc said:

is that 2x16' looks good

much of it is 18-to 20" long, but that`s okay, my new insert can handle that easilyl.

sonnyinbc said:
iceman said:
sonnyinbc said:

is that 2x16' looks good

much of it is 18-to 20" long, but that`s okay, my new insert can handle that easilyl.

so u are 36x16 you got more than a cord!

iceman said:
sonnyinbc said:
iceman said:
sonnyinbc said:

is that 2x16' looks good

so u are 36x16 you got more than a cord!

Yep!

Status
Not open for further replies.