Bought Lowe's Out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer

Aug 16, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Got your attention? Well, not so dramatic. Got a call from a friend up north a few days ago. Asked if I'd check out pellet availability in SLC. He was not able to get any for a week or so and his supplier wasn't sure how much they'd be. So I got on the horn and called around. My regular source was out, Sutherland's. I am trying a test of 4 bags of Heartland's, their replacement for Eureka. Liked mine, thought about putting an order in for 3 ton. Well, they were out. Not just temporarily, but for the Season. Done, no orders, or special orders or ???? They are out. Started calling and found out that of 6 Lowe's and 10 HD's there are fewer than 20 pallets left. The Lowe's closest to me had 400 bags on Thursday, but they weren't sure what they had left.

This afternoon I had to go by the store and stopped in. Asked what they had left, thinking I would grab a pallet for my friend. I was told all they had was the bags in the exit. Counted 30 bags and some parts. Walked to the service counter and said, "Let's make a deal". We negotiated a deal on all, no charge on the broken bags. Done 30 bags, $120.00 plus the breakers. That includes the 6.6% sales tax.

Took a few minutes to get some load help, but we drug a partial pallet to the van, loaded it. Went back for another partial and ten bags were gone. The assistant manager went to a lady and said, "Sorry Mame, those are sold." After a little staring glaring and poor choice of words the lady let go of my pellets.

While we were loading, a guy asked how much they were, store employee said, "I don't know, we sold them." I offered to sell him some, but he said he'd wait for a restock. Well.....

Talked to my friend a little while ago and he said he'd take twenty bags and give me $4.50 per bag. I said, I'd sell them to him for cost but he had to buy lunch. After arguing, he said he'd take what he needed until his regular order arrived, and leave me the rest.

Didn't need any more for this year, but.... Winter may go through April, given a small change in the jet stream.

So I managed in one swipe of the pen to Zero the inventory of Lowe's (they will not buy anymore for this season, according to the manager) piss off two possible buyers, save a friend heating butt, and get a Great Maximum Chili Verde Burrito and a few Tecates lunch to boot.

I did a Lowe's raid today myself. We don't have any other heat than the wood stoves. The heat pump died years ago and I haven't found a good reason to replace it. Today I was in Lowes to pick up some stuff and they had the oil filled radiator heaters marked down to seventeen bucks apiece.

We now have one in every room of the house as backup and for the shoulder seasons. And two spares in the boxes in the basement for backup. They were cheaper than the shipping to get a warrenty repair on one.

1st come 1st served! Our Sutherlands had 10+ pallets of heartlands sitting out front a couple days ago. I like them I've been burning them for a couple years now. 9200 btu/lb. is fairly high. Ash content is up there but I don't mind since my stove gets cleaned weekly anyway. Maybe I should go pick up one more. I have 40 bags left but as you mentioned winter could easily last through April.

UncleRich , Please tell me the "lady" in your story was 80 years old and ya'll had to break her con-fu grip to get the pellets back and there and only there after the manager was beat over the head with her cane.

Shane said:
1st come 1st served! Our Sutherlands had 10+ pallets of heartlands sitting out front a couple days ago. I like them I've been burning them for a couple years now. 9200 btu/lb. is fairly high. Ash content is up there but I don't mind since my stove gets cleaned weekly anyway. Maybe I should go pick up one more. I have 40 bags left but as you mentioned winter could easily last through April.

Tried the Heartlands at your suggestion. Great pellets. Sutherlands sold out. Wish I could have bought three tons.

Side note. The ash (as apposed to the Eurekas) deposit ash front to rear in the middle of the stove. Eureka left to right. H's have about half the deposit of the Eur's. Bun seems to be up 10-20% heat value.

If you want to score for next year, buy all you can afford. I am satisified with the Eureka's, but wish I had 3 ton stored for next year of the Heartland's.

Roospike said:
UncleRich , Please tell me the "lady" in your story was 80 years old and ya'll had to break her con-fu grip to get the pellets back and there and only there after the manager was beat over the head with her cane.

Roo:
You knicker twisting again? She was a kind old lady and told the manager she'd take her business to HD, down the road. I said, "Sorry, I was first and paid, but I'm sure she'll find what she needed." Even though they wouldn't be as good, and 15% more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.