Bought my storage tanks today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nrford

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2011
NW lower Mi.
Now, for some insight on welding. I'm planning on stacking them. Will need to connect to 1" ID pex to run underground to house.How many lines between the two tanks, how many and what size inlets and outlets? A drain fitting on bottom tank? How about a fill cap? Any additional fittings, relief valves, temp probes? etc. etc. Any insight and thoughts appreciated!

nrford said:
Now, for some insight on welding. I'm planning on stacking them. Will need to connect to 1" ID pex to run underground to house.How many lines between the two tanks, how many and what size inlets and outlets? A drain fitting on bottom tank? How about a fill cap? Any additional fittings, relief valves, temp probes? etc. etc. Any insight and thoughts appreciated!

I guess I should have said at least 1" pex. I'm pretty set on the 35kw Effecta. I'm sure Brian will design a system that is set up properly. I was only looking for other folks ideas on welding up the storage tanks not someone to design my whole system. I'm happy to read other ideas and consider implementing them.

Keep us posted on your install. Pics are great. Been all kinds of tank con figs on here. Plenty of great ideas. I would look at the European designs for their methods if you are gonna do DHW.

Will

nrford said:
nrford said:

I guess I should have said at least 1" pex. I'm pretty set on the 35kw Effecta. I'm sure Brian will design a system that is set up properly. I was only looking for other folks ideas on welding up the storage tanks not someone to design my whole system. I'm happy to read other ideas and consider implementing them.
1 1/4" inlet & outlet should be fine. Use only "steel" couplers & if you cant get half couplers cut the standard one in half. I like 6013 weld rod. After you chip the slag paint the surface with Locktite Wick & Lock or Locktite Weld sealer. You can buy this in small tubes at Napa etc that isn't a lot of money. A cheap welders 90 degree magnet is a good investment . Get one thats chamfered to clear the fitting & thread a nipple in so the magnet has something to grab on to. Randy

I would say you'd be better off putting thermowells in the tank to monitor temperatures than just taping sensors onto the outside of the tank. This will require welding a coupling or 'weldolet' wherever you want to measure temps. Top, middle, and bottom at least.
If you are not trying to get this done for this winter, thermowells can be had on Ebay for cheap if you're patient. 1/2" or 3/4' NPT most commonly.

Do everything you can think of now because once they're plumbed in and full of water it's not gonna happen.

You can buy weldable bungs from a plumbers supply house made to be welded into tanks or any surface, they weld real nice no need for magnet and are low profile, nothing sticking out to get hung up on. Not too much money and come in any size of NPT make a nice looking job. Hope this helps you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.