Bought new house (1970's)... Chimney/Creosote issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

go48

Jan 8, 2017
Northeast USA
Hi all, new member here! I recently just purchased an older house (70's) with an old All-Nighter Mid-Moe woodstove in the basement. After a trial run last night, I decided to take a few pictures through the cleanout and up into the flue. To my surprise, I saw cracked clay tiles and glazed creosote? Also took a few knocks on the external concrete bricks, and one sounds loose (visible cracks at seams). Just looking on advice on where to go from here.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG

What you have is called a slammer or some variation of. And is no longer code as you can see why. Dumps the smoke into a cold Chimney and you get glazed creosote. I wouldn't burn in it. If you get a flame going in there it's going to take right off. Like it probably has in the past and probably why it's in the state it's in. Code would be to run a insulated liner through it. But some of the guys on here will give you better advise if you should even do that with the state that it's in

Reactions: go48
I'm new here as well.
If it were me, I would have a mason come by and let you know if the chimney is sound. If there are loose blocks and loose grout a mason can replace or re-grout the blocks.
Is the chimney vertical? Or has it settled on one side? That would be fixable but probably expensive.
It may have some leaks which would let moisture in between the blocks and the flue which can cause cracking when the moisture freezes.
Once the chimney is determined to be sound and you want to use a wood stove, I would use an insulated stainless steel flue inside the chimney for the wood stove.
Why was the stove in the basement? In case of power outages?

Unless someone has a different definition that is not a slammer install. It is simply a freestanding stove vented into a masonry chimney. A perfectly fine and acceptable type of install.

You've got lots of glazed creosote and cracked tile liners. That chimney is going to need a thorough cleaning, probably chained, and possibly have the tiles busted out if they are saturated, which can easily happen when they are cracked so much.

After the thorough cleaning and possibly removal of clay liners, you will need a SS liner and it will need to be insulated regardless of existing clearances because the clay liners cracked. So the 2" interior chimney/1" exterior is a moot point, the chimney liner is currently compromised.

Reactions: begreen and go48
As for the loose exterior brick, might need a mason or sweep experienced with masonry in to determine if it's a structural issue or can just be patched, or may not need to be worried about at all if it's stable and a insulated liner is going in.

That's why I said some variation of I know typical slammer is just insert in fireplace but you got pipe going into a non insulated clay tile and hence the glazed cresote top to bottom

But a freestanding stove vented into a clay lined masonry chimney is not a slammer install at all. And is common and code compliant. The danger of slammer installs with a insert into a masonry fireplace is the inability to clean effectively and creo dropping down onto the top/outside of the unit.

It's a totally different thing. If this chimney was in good shape, it could be cleaned and used as is as long as all clearances are met and would be code compliant.

Reactions: Ashful
Ahhh got ya. Ok here's a question. What size are clay tiles. As far as fitting a liner.

I'm assuming you're asking the OP? As clay liners come in many, many different sizes. It would need to be measured.

And unless they can be effectively cleaned of that creosote they are going to need to be busted out regardless. Lining a creo soaked chimney is not to code.

I appreciate the feedback guys! I just checked all four sides of the chimney (exposed both in basement and attic) and it is perfectly vertical. Upon going into the attic, I noticed a spot leaking creosote. This makes me think the tiles are saturated as previously mentioned. Also, prior to closing I had the seller repair the roof around the chimney, so ignore the water staining. Measuring through the cleanout, the tiles are 7" x 7" ID with rounded corners.

12.JPG

Yes I was asking OP. Because after your advice. Your still looking putting a liner in it. And depending size of pipe for that stove and current tile size with liner size maybe will affect how he proceeds

Reactions: Squisher
That doesn't look promising.

Also it looks like that piece of particle board or whatever it is is leaned up against the chimney? I'd move that.

I would not recommend using the chimney/setup as is. I'd be looking at calling some local shops/sweeps and getting some quotes as to what you can do. Beware of anyone that says they can just jam a uninsulated liner down and call it good.

Wouldn't be surprised if that chimney has had a fire or two in its day. It needs a rehab like squisher outlined with a new insulated stainless steel liner. Don't use it as is.

Squish- this is what I've read in past. (Top left) that lead me to think that. Just figured that was some cobbled variation of what's considered a slammer but what you said makes good sense
https://chimneysweeponline.com/hoosst.htm

OP once you get Chimney measurements and looked at, you will probably have some decisions. Like room for liners and if it's 8 inch on that stove do you plan on upgrading in the future where new stove might be 6 inch

Yup. Oversized flue is a different type of code violation. It could play a part here as well but my suspicion from the pics is that the flue isn't grossly oversized for a old smoker like that. But without measurements, that is a guess at best.

To the OP if you are re-lining definetly consider what the future looks like for your burning. A newer stove will be vastly superior installed with a proper sized and insulated liner. Most new stoves are six inch, with very few newer stoves being 8"(blaze king king comes to mind). Also a 6" insulated liner is smaller if space in the chimney is a concern. And lastly 6" is notably less expensive too.

lots to consider, and lots of expense unfortunately. But I wouldn't mess around running that chimney as is. Begging for much more expensive or worse, deadly issues.

Reactions: mitchell721
Squish- this is what I've read in past. (Top left) that lead me to think that. Just figured that was some cobbled variation of what's considered a slammer but what you said makes good sense
https://chimneysweeponline.com/hoosst.htm

OP once you get Chimney measurements and looked at, you will probably have some decisions. Like room for liners and if it's 8 inch on that stove do you plan on upgrading in the future where new stove might be 6 inch
Currently a 6" stovepipe coming off the wood stove dumped into a 7x7" clay liner. Not sure if there are insulated liners that will fit currently, or if i should have the liner removed given the current state of creosote.

Curious if a 5.5 inch insulated ss liner would fit in that 7x7 tile?

I think not very well, if you add 1.5" roughly for the insulation then you're right tight. Any offset clay liners or mortar gobs would be potentially unpassable. Seems unlikely to me that it would be wise or acceptable to leave those liners in due to the potential for saturation with creosote. Always curious to hear other thoughts on it too.

Well squish what's the average thickness of clay tile? Maybe worth hassle of getting them all out to clear space for liner. Not sure how much of pita it would be though

I'm not sure exactly off the top of my head? But yes I imagine in this case busting out tiles is going to kill two birds with one stone. Make room for the insulated liner and get rid of creo saturated clay liner.

Seems like they are half to 5/8 which is approx 1 to 1 1/4 which should be just about right for insulated 6 inch liner to fit

There should be space behind the clay liner too, approximately the same thickness as the liner.

What you have is called a slammer or some variation of. And is no longer code as you can see why. Dumps the smoke into a cold Chimney and you get glazed creosote. I wouldn't burn in it. If you get a flame going in there it's going to take right off. Like it probably has in the past and probably why it's in the state it's in. Code would be to run a insulated liner through it. But some of the guys on here will give you better advise if you should even do that with the state that it's in
That is not a slammer. Actually, I don't see anything wrong with the installation, but it's in poor condition now. This flight is grounded, due to cracked tiles.

We've established that

Well honestly from the looks of the block I would have to seriously question if that chimney is a good candidate for relining. With vertical cracking like that on multiple block I would be worried that the clay tiles are mortared in which makes them very difficult to impossible to remove. And they absolutely need removed. Also with cracks that bad I would be pretty worried about running a breaker in that chimney as well. It may not be as bad as it looks from the pics but to me it looks pretty questionable as to whether that chimney is worth fixing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful and Squisher