Bought the Big E made by Breckwell...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamegrabber

Apr 13, 2008
Northshore, Ma.
Found a place that had 4 in stock.

The Enviro Omega I had on back order was pushed out to 2009 so I bagged it.

The Big E has great reviews so I'm pretty psyched about it.

Better low end BTU range too. Omega's is 16000 BTUs to 60000 BTUs.

Big E's range is 8200 BTUs to 55000 BTUs.

Big E is wood pellet only though vs. the multi-fuel Omega, but much less ( $1500.00 less ) money.

Should pay for itself in one year.

FG.

Thanks guy, I"m looking forward to it.

The dealer had 4 in stock but they all had the small glass window. I had him check with Breckwell to see if I could get one with the bigger glass and they said yes in late August/early Sept.

So I'm going to wait for the bigger glass door. I'm a little nervous that they might not come through but the guy at Breckwell assured the dearler, so we'll see.

BTW, how do you run yours? On a stat?

Any tips on the best way to conserve pellets? Type and make of a good stat, etc?

Thanks alot,

FG.

buildingmaint said:
This will be my forth year with mine .Hope you like it. I love mine.

I run mine with a programmable stat. It a cheapo I bought at Busy Beaver brand name Lux. I t works fine for me. I run my stove on HIGH/LOW setting on the control board, # 3 pellet usage . I also run my ceiling fans to distribute the heat . I keep my stat at 67- 71 for when I'm in the house, and 66-67 at night or when I'm not home . I used 172 bags of pellets last year , from OCT - MAY. I find that I get less clinkers the hotter I run the stove.

I will check out that stat, thanks.

In which climate do you burn 172 bags per year?

Northeast? Northwest? Canada? Average winter temp? etc...

Approx how many square feet total does your Big E heat?

I'm very psyched to get my new Big E.

Thanks again,

FG,

buildingmaint said:
I run mine with a programmable stat. It a cheapo I bought at Busy Beaver brand name Lux. I t works fine for me. I run my stove on HIGH/LOW setting on the control board, # 3 pellet usage . I also run my ceiling fans to distribute the heat . I keep my stat at 67- 71 for when I'm in the house, and 66-67 at night or when I'm not home . I used 172 bags of pellets last year , from OCT - MAY. I find that I get less clinkers the hotter I run the stove.

They do not recommend you run the stove on #5 for more then an hour. other then that i love the stove.i run my Big E on #4 all the time and it does great.

Let us know how you like it.

JW

I live in Northwestern Pennsylvania . I heat 600 sq ft on my first floor and it keeps my 200 sq ft upstairs at a comfortable temp to watch TV with a blanket or for sleeping , so I would say it keeps the upstairs about 63 , while the down stairs is 67-71. I could get it much hotter , but I would use a lot more pellets then the 172 bags. I think I would burn about 100 more bags a year to keep it real hot ,lets say in the 72 degree range .

The Big E is my best selling pellet stove. They are a very good stove for the money.

Eric

That's great to hear Kinsman. Thanks!

BTW, with all your experience selling and probably serviceing the Big E stove, how does their reliability stack up against other brands?

I've read a few posts by owners who've said that the blowers have gone bad/siezed up on their Big E's.

They still love the stove tho. It's not a deal breaker with them.

Do they have more than the usual problems than others, or do you consider them very reliable?

Do they have the average amount of maintenance as most other stoves?

Thanks again,

FG.

kinsman stoves said:
The Big E is my best selling pellet stove. They are a very good stove for the money.

Eric

My Convection blower went out at the start of last season(are second year).they sent me a "new redesigned" blower that is different then the old one. it blow's new now.

Would i buy another big E----------Yes. Very reliable and has always started for us.

Thanks for the info Johnny.

If they've redesigned the blower I should get the new one in my new stove. They're probably shipping all new stoves with the better fan now.

Can't wait. I already have 2 tons of Lignetics stored in the breezeway. Sagged the floor something fierce but the breezeway has no foundation and it's perfect place for pellet storage, so that's it's purpose now. It used to be a catch-all for useless stuff anyway.

Thanks again,

FG.

johnnywarm said:
My Convection blower went out at the start of last season(are second year).they sent me a "new redesigned" blower that is different then the old one. it blow's new now.

Would i buy another big E----------Yes. Very reliable and has always started for us.

I think the only Question now is??? Did you get the big window??lolol Make sure to clean the window every-time you turn off the stove. never restart unless it's clean.

Oh yeah I got the big window.

I could have gotten the smaller square window today because the dealer had those in stock but the guy assured me the factory could ship me the bigger glass window for delivery in late August.

I would have settled either way but the bigger window would look better. More visible flame always looks better.

But heat and functionality is more important than looks IMHO. I feel very good about my purchase and that's what counts. It's my way of knowing I did my due-diligence.

I'll give an update.

Thanks again,

FG.

johnnywarm said:
I think the only Question now is??? Did you get the big window??lolol Make sure to clean the window every-time you turn off the stove. never restart unless it's clean.

I'm looking into the Big E here in NH. Could someone give me an idea of what current list price on the Big E is?? Thanks!

Well, thanks to the positive reviews here, i purchased a "big window" Big E today. Looking on Breckwell's website , i started calling the dealers closest to me. Everyone was sold out / none in stock. I contacted a dealer a couple towns away, who i was sure wouldn't have any either......... turns out he had ELEVEN in stock, ALL with the big glass. Now he is down to ten. I believe i paid a bit under list, and to anyone outside NH, there is no sales tax here. I'm not sure if i can say i bought it at Laconia Oil here, but he was great to deal with and would recommend them to anyone. I suspect he has them in stock when no one else does because this is the first year he is a Breckwell dealer, and most wouldn't know he is selling pellet stoves. I hope my positive experience with Laconia Oil helps other members here.... if anyone in the area is looking fr a Big E, i highly recommend them !

Icedog said:
Can someone tell me if the Big E's are approved for Canada??? I can't seem to find out if they are both UL & UL-C listed????

Thanks!

I am in Ontario and they sell the Breckwell big E here at a few retailers so I would think they must be leagal for Canada or they would not be able to sell, install and WETT certify them.
I came close to buying a big E myself but got a great deal on an Enviro Evolution so went with it instead. Was about $400.00 cheaper then the Big E, not as many BTU but good quailty Canadian made stove and should do the job, if nothing else it will save me a pile on oil. If I never got the deal on the Enviro I would have went with the Big E. It sounds to be a very good stove for the price.

buildingmaint said:
I live in Northwestern Pennsylvania . I heat 600 sq ft on my first floor and it keeps my 200 sq ft upstairs at a comfortable temp to watch TV with a blanket or for sleeping , so I would say it keeps the upstairs about 63 , while the down stairs is 67-71. I could get it much hotter , but I would use a lot more pellets then the 172 bags. I think I would burn about 100 more bags a year to keep it real hot ,lets say in the 72 degree range .

WOW! 3-1/2 tons to heat just 600 sq ft tp 67-71 degrees and a 63 degree 200sq ft upstairs?
That sounds like a lot of pellets to heat that square footage.
John

I bought a Breckwell Big E Home heaster online at novelsstoves.com, after someone elses recmmendation, and got a great price of $1871 plus $60 ship fee. Also got a beatiful ketucky brick hearth pad, 40" for a cheap $235, and pipe kit for a low $201. Very pleased so far. will receive in 10-14 days.

I bought a Breckwell Big E Home heaster online at novelsstoves.com, after someone elses recmmendation, and got a great price of $1871 plus $60 ship fee. Also got a beatiful ketucky brick hearth pad, 40" for a cheap $235, and pipe kit for a low $201. Very pleased so far. will receive in 10-14 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.