Bought the new insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
So after using my Dutchwest DW2500X1 wood insert for a year and a half I decided this was not the insert for me. The little 1.3 cf fire box did everything it was supposed to, it heated a 1700 sq ft house and it was rated for 1500 sq ft, it keep the house at 70 or better no matter what the temp out side was, and burned clean. I grew tired of re fueling every two and a half hours to keep the temps up, not the stoves fault I just didnt know what i was looking for in an insert when I bought this one. So today after alot of research I went with the Osburn 2000 wood insert and will be in my drive way in ten days. Here is what I have and what Im getting.

Osburn 2000 insert Dutch West
rated to heat 2,100 sqf 1,500 sqf
2.3 cf fire box 1.3 cf fire box
77% efficiency 64% efficiency
380 lbs 235 lbs

I look forward to the bigger fire box the most, after discussion with you guys I found this was the most important feature. The 2000 is the biggest I can fit using the manufactures minimum fire place size. I look forward to longer burns the most and I should be able to get all night burn times with this unit. I thank the members of Hearth .com for alot of great advise on what to look for. Osburn and SBI from the reviews I have read sound like a good choice to me. I will post the install pics when the unit arrives.

Good choice in going with the Osburn. I am a dealer in NY and you will be very happy with the unit. Good luck with it and be sure to post a pic or two.

I think you are gonna love the stove. Lots of Osburn owners on the forum over the years and nothing but good words for the stoves.

Keep us posted on the progress. Some of us are around here all summer.

Good to hear, etiger. That larger stove should make heating a lot easier this seasons. Enjoy the longer burn times!

Thanks guys I will post some pics . Papa Bear what kind of feed back are you getting from people who purchase this unit from you. Of course my salesman said its a greeat unit and I should get heat out of the stove for eight hours. Any tricks I should know about this stove?

You're going to be very happy with this upgrade. I don't mind fiddling with the stove a little bit, but loading every few hours would get annoying.

Thanks guys I will post some pics . Papa Bear what kind of feed back are you getting from people who purchase this unit from you. Of course my salesman said its a greeat unit and I should get heat out of the stove for eight hours. Any tricks I should know about this stove?

You've oversized a bit and you seem to have decent insulation since the small stove was heating your home, so 8 hours of heat is possible. Maybe more depending upon your fuel and burning habits.

Congrats etiger! I think you're going to love it. Im sure you'll have no trouble getting significantly longer burn times and greater heat output.

Looking at your signature reminds me I need beer......Congrats...

Well I have some bad news but im glad I was able to cancell the unit before they shipped it. I got to measuring the clearance to combustibles and the Osburn unit wants 10 inches of clearance from the unit to the side combustibles, if the unit was installed in my fire place it would only have about 8 inches of clearance sooooooooooo bumbed. Im pushing at the max clearances with my small insert in the picture. I need some help understanding this, the owners manual for the insert in the pic says "unit to top trim 10" clearance" so im thinking it means and correct me if Im wrong that Im supposed to measure from the top of the unit until I reach the first combustible wood above the unit and 10 inches would be the minimum and I have 11 inches (bottom of the wood trim in the pic). If thats the case the biggest insert I could fit would be a Drolet 1400 escape and Im not sure I can justify going from a 1.3 fire box to a 1.8 cf firebox. I can trim the wood on the sides back because there is brick behind that but to trim the top I cant do that. Ant help or suggestions please. Do they make some trim that can go on the wood to gain clearance HHHHHEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP Please

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 132
What about a heat shield?

Being new to wood burning BAR im not sure what you mean. I do have a wife that complained ever since I cut her fire place out and installed my insert so it would have to look good.

A heat shield is a piece of non combustible material that would go between the stove and combustible material to lower clearances, I read a thread on this about a month ago but cant for the life of me find it right now, someone posted a link to an online store that sold the shields.
I think you may be able to get that stove in there but the experts can answer that question better than I can.

The biggest and best thing you can do is install it properly and get used to the air control. Other than that make sure you are getting a air tight seal on the door. Hopefully, the dealer has shown you that the door handle is adjustable so you can get longer life out of the door gasket. I am sure you will be very happy with the unit.

The biggest and best thing you can do is install it properly and get used to the air control. Other than that make sure you are getting a air tight seal on the door. Hopefully, the dealer has shown you that the door handle is adjustable so you can get longer life out of the door gasket. I am sure you will be very happy with the unit.

Papa Bear Please read the earlier threads I cannot fit the 2000 because of a clearance issue, I cant have anything gaudy to make it work. What kind of burn time ( useful heat) can I get out of a Drolet Escape 1400? The Drolet is bigger than what I have and smaller than the 2000 plus i can make the clearances the manufacture specifies with our cutting that wood away from my fire box. Thanks.

Is there also a mantel we need to be concerned about or is it just the side paneling? This looks doable, how far does the woodwork project from the brick? What is the exact dimension of the opening in the wood paneling?

how far does the woodwork project from the brick?

Good point. Some stoves clearances state that anything beyond XXX clearances need to be kept. If it projects out less than the stated specs than the clearances are sometimes not applicable.

Guys thanks so much for helping: The first pics shows the face plate removed, the second pic shows the mantle higher up, the third pic shows that the trim all the way around the fire place opening is 1 1/2 inch thick. Just to add I am very cautious about safety although with this first insert this may have been an oversight on my part, I will add that I have just out of curiosity felt the wood above the insert and when the insert was running full blast would get warm but never hot. I could keep my hand on it and I never felt it was a safety issue for the family. Thanks again for any input.

Attachments

• chimney 001.jpg
    chimney 001.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 145
  • chimney 002.jpg
    chimney 002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 172
  • chimney 003.jpg
    chimney 003.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 131
Oops forgot the exact demension of the opening in the wood trim is 32 1/2 tall and 46 1/2 wide. Where the face plate goes.

The stove front is 26" wide and you have 46.5" between the shallow wood sides? That would make the gap 10 1/4" on each side. If correct, there doesn't seem to be a problem, but confirm with your dealer. If there is an issue, a discrete metal L shield in the opening would be all that is needed. This would be barely visible.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Looks great! Congrats you're gonna be warm late Fall and Winter!

Ray

I agree with BeGreen. Even if you need a heat shield, which seems to be in doubt based on the photos and measurements, the Osburn should be fine.

I think it's the side clearance (to the left) that is an issue.

Thanks guys but i just looked up the specs on the Osburn 2000 and drolet 1400 and they are both 28 3/8 wide, that would just put me under the ten inch side clearance they recommend. What do you guys think about the wood above the unit? Am I doing right only measuring to where the wood starts above the unit or should I go up to the top mantle? Im not sure where you got 26 inch stove front maybe I missed something please reply back and thanks for your help.

What's behind the wood trim to the left? And is that real brick on the left wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.