Bought the new insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys but i just looked up the specs on the Osburn 2000 and drolet 1400 and they are both 28 3/8 wide, that would just put me under the ten inch side clearance they recommend. What do you guys think about the wood above the unit? Am I doing right only measuring to where the wood starts above the unit or should I go up to the top mantle? Im not sure where you got 26 inch stove front maybe I missed something please reply back and thanks for your help.

That's the backside width, and at the bolt heads. It has nothing to do with the front clearances to combustibles. The front width is 26" according to their manual. You are overthinking this thing. If the stove fits on the backside, get the stove and be happy!

osburn 2000.PNG

There is brick behind the wood on both sides im unsure how high the brick goes up because of that brass vent.

I looked at the manual and totally see what you are saying Begreen, and I could run a small L shaped heat shield along the top wood to help the clearance. Thank -you so much i didnt look up the owners amnual until now. Awsome calling tomorrow to re-order.

Reactions: gd9704
Heck I think I could fit the 2400 better it only needs 8 inches of clearance from the stove front, it dosent leave me any room to connect the liner during cleanings though.

Heck I think I could fit the 2400 better it only needs 8 inches of clearance from the stove front, it dosent leave me any room to connect the liner during cleanings though.

Once its connected theres no need to disconnect the liner to clean. As long as you can connect at install you should be ok.

Isnt it a good practice to disconnect the liner from the insert from time to time to make sure your getting a good cleaning (with any insert). The one time I cleaned my liner because everything was new I did just run the poly brush through it and let the black dust fall into the insert with plans of disconnecting the liner for following cleaning.

Isnt it a good practice to disconnect the liner from the insert from time to time to make sure your getting a good cleaning (with any insert).

On my insert I remove the baffle and can look right up the liner. I sweep the liner from the top and everything falls into the firebox. Once I clean out the firebox I can look up the liner to check that it is completely clean.

If you can check the liner I see no reason to disconnect it.

KaptJaq

If the 2400 fits, then get it. Big old beast of a heater with good burn times. Don't worry about disconnecting the liner. On my stove, I can look down from the roof and down to the offset, which is only a few feet above the stove. I can use a flashlight and mirror to see up to the offset from the bottom.

I was on a search for a Napoleon 1402, 2.25 cf firebox and discovered on www.dynamitebuys.com it only cost a couple hundred bucks more for a 3.2 cf Osburn 2400.

I heat a very drafty 1700 sf ranch on a hill by the water. So the monster Osburn 2400 really appealed to me. I rarely filled the firebox when I first got it, but this winter the extra firebox capacity really worked in my favor. My wife was pregnant and unable to load the stove as she usually does during the day, so I found myself packing that sucker each morning. 12-13 hours when I return from work I was always greeted with a large coal bed ready for a reload. So i really benefited from upsizing to the Osburn 2400. Hope that's helpful in your decision making. Good luck!

Looking at the setup I'm concerned that the 2400 may not fit. Be sure before ordering.

How wide is the fireplace opening? The minimum opening it needs is 31 5/8" wide and that is without a taper until at least 16" deep. The stove body width is 31 1/8". If you add 16" that is 47 1/8" vs the 46 1/2" currently there.

Pull the Dutchwest, then make a cardboard template for each stove to check fit.

I went ahead and re-ordered the 2000 again today and I'll get it next week. I think the 2000 will serve me well, If that little Dutchwest 1.3 f firebox heated the place the 2.3 should be fantastic. I cant wait to start the new install, I know I have to cut out some of the ol heatilator to get it to fit and this one will get a block off plate too. I should get 8 hours of good heat ( i hope).

Congratulations. It should make a nice difference in longer burns.

You're going to do great! Congratulations. I'm so glad it's working out for you. This summer is going to take forever to end.

Thanks guys, Hey Begreen I need just one more clearification, should I worry about a heat shield above the insert on the wood trim or does it not stick out far enough to warrant a heat shield ( sticks 1 1/2 inch out from the brick) If I do need one I'm thinking some light wieght sheet metal that comes straight out under the trim with a slight bend upward. I still have to let the wife pick out her paint, she's leaning towards a brownish color.

Yes, to be on the safe side I would add a discrete shield above the stove body. It should have an air gap between it and the wood. One possibility would be to attach it to the back of the insert surround so that it is about 1/2" off the wood. Another would be to make its side profile like a sideways Z so that it attaches on the brick face behind the surround, goes up to within 1/2" of the wood, then outward 2", then up at a ~20 deg angle for a small 1/2" lip.

I got the call today that it will be in my drive way on Tuesday, cant wait. I called my insurance company and told them i was upgrading my insert and they said " ok ed we dont need pics and there is no sur charge for an insert go ahead with your plans" loved that. I will still buy a hearth extender and a heat shield for good measure.

OK, so after a week or so of waiting the Osburn 2000 finally showed up in the drive way. My surround did get damaged but no big deal Stovesdirect will ship me another one soon. The stove came all assembled ( baffle, secondary tubes, bricks in place) all i have to do is paint the stove ( mid night brown) and put the surround together when it arrives. I opened the door and was amazed how much bigger the firebox is compared to the ol Dutch West so I grabbed some wood just to see how much i could put in there ( im really excited at this point) using the same size small to medium splits i was able to put 12 in the fire box with air in between the pieces and filled up to about an inch from the secondaries. The ol Dutch West might have took five or six and she was packed full, anyways I did split some huge splits during the spring and I can fit two of those with two or three small splits on top of the two big ones. Man I cannot wait for the paint and surround to arrive so I can get this thing started im like a kid with a new toy. What im really excited about I can tell I will not have to go re-fuel the stove every two hours with this unit, its super heavy too.

Attachments

• chimney 006.jpg
    chimney 006.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 105
  • chimney 004.jpg
    chimney 004.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: raybonz
OK, so after a week or so of waiting the Osburn 2000 finally showed up in the drive way. My surround did get damaged but no big deal Stovesdirect will ship me another one soon. The stove came all assembled ( baffle, secondary tubes, bricks in place) all i have to do is paint the stove ( mid night brown) and put the surround together when it arrives. I opened the door and was amazed how much bigger the firebox is compared to the ol Dutch West so I grabbed some wood just to see how much i could put in there ( im really excited at this point) using the same size small to medium splits i was able to put 12 in the fire box with air in between the pieces and filled up to about an inch from the secondaries. The ol Dutch West might have took five or six and she was packed full, anyways I did split some huge splits during the spring and I can fit two of those with two or three small splits on top of the two big ones. Man I cannot wait for the paint and surround to arrive so I can get this thing started im like a kid with a new toy. What im really excited about I can tell I will not have to go re-fuel the stove every two hours with this unit, its super heavy too.

Going from a small stove to a much larger stove is fun. To quote the movie Step Brothers; "there's so much room for activities!"

If that warp is on the hidden edge of the surround I would just straighten it out and get installing. It doesn't look too bad.

You're going to love the additional capacity. I sense an airconditioning stress test happening in Michigan within a week.

Awesome! Im curious how the paint job goes. Congrats etiger!

So today I took out the ol Dutch West and slid in the new Osburn and I was extremely happy to discover I did not have to cut out any of the old Superior Heat Form fire box like I thought I was going to have to do, sure it took up every inch of the fire box but it fit like it was made for it. I did paint it Midnight Brown per the wifes choice and it looks really nice. All I have to do is get my surround and paint it once its delivered, order a heat shield, and connect the flex liner to the appliance. Cant wait to try this thing out and watch some Michigan football. The pic with both stoves was taken to show size comparison old to new. Even Pudge likes the new stove.

Attachments

• chimney 006.jpg
    chimney 006.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 137
  • chimney 009.jpg
    chimney 009.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 117
  • chimney 011.jpg
    chimney 011.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 147
  • chimney 008.jpg
    chimney 008.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: raybonz
So today I took out the ol Dutch West and slid in the new Osburn and I was extremely happy to discover I did not have to cut out any of the old Superior Heat Form fire box like I thought I was going to have to do, sure it took up every inch of the fire box but it fit like it was made for it. I did paint it Midnight Brown per the wifes choice and it looks really nice. All I have to do is get my surround and paint it once its delivered, order a heat shield, and connect the flex liner to the appliance. Cant wait to try this thing out and watch some Michigan football. The pic with both stoves was taken to show size comparison old to new. Even Pudge likes the new stove.
Looks awesome CONGRATS! You're gonna be nice and toasty this winter :)

Ray

Wow, you can almost fit the small stove inside the new stove

Status
Not open for further replies.