Bow guides

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I see a section on bow guides in every Stihl manual, but have never seen one in use. Given the location of the spur and guard, leaving a very small portion of the guide for actual cutting area, I'm having trouble picturing why one would want to use one of these guides. I'm assuming they have a very specific and limited utility, which is why I haven't seen them in use anywhere around here.

Anyone have experience with these guides, and why would anyone ever want to use one?

hqdefault.jpg

Yea, you can take the guide off, but they were used a lot in pulpwood days where they cut short wood. Once the tree was felled it was cut to like 4foot or 6 foot lengths. You can cut a tree on the ground with one and not lean over as much. I thionk they were used lots in the south. But anyway you can plunge into a tree and cut straight down and the bar wont pinch making them faster as you dont have to worry about the bar pinching. when i first started cutting wood with a coworker, he used an old poulan with a bow, the bow was worn and he went to a straight bar and that did not last long till he got a stihl farm boss.

But in thier place they are great bars, just dangerous as all get out when your tired as the bow will protrude back toward the operator when the saw is lowered when carrying or moving etc. And back in the day there were no chain breaks.

When i first started out of college one of my jobs was to "babysit" the small logger by endangerd RCW species cavity trees (its a woodpecker). THose guys used old husky saws and bows. IT amazed me at what they could do.

Quite common for cutting pulpwood or poles until the '80s or so,especially in southern states .When Dad bought his new Poulan 3400 in 1981,it was often paired up with a bow.I asked about getting one & if I remember correctly his reply was something like "HELL NO!" ;lol

Attachments

• Poulan 405 3400 5200 etc with bows.jpg
    Poulan 405 3400 5200 etc with bows.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,881
  • Poulan3400 bow bar.jpg
    Poulan3400 bow bar.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2,059
I was told that they were for brush cutting back before the powerful weed eater type brush saws. I can see where they would not pinch up in light brush with the hollow center.

I was told that they were for brush cutting back before the powerful weed eater type brush saws. I can see where they would not pinch up in light brush with the hollow center.
some use them for brush.

But trust me they don't bind in large ply logs either, I personally have watched them cut large pine ply logs that lay on the ground all the way through to the ground. they don't pinch.

I thinktheguys I watched use the bow saws actually were iseing 044 magnums with those big bow bars. I said before I think they used husky saws??

Status
Not open for further replies.