Bow saw maintenance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
Any old timers out there that have know-how on hand tool maintenance?

I've got some military surplus bow saws (great tools) and I'm wondering whether I should store them with the blades loosened or tight?

Also, when cutting sometimes they'll start veering off. Is this a symptom of a stretched blade or crooked teeth?

Blade could be bent,teeth dull on one side,not proper set to the teeth.

I've had one for 20 some years,estate auction or garage sale find,dont remember.I always heard its better to loosen the tension on that metal turnbuckle when putting it away in storage.Also have a couple smaller versions of same type of saw - much older,they have the twine with toggle stick to adjust the tension.Used for cutting curves in furniture & cabinet shops for centuries.With a wide coarse blade installed,it can be turned to use when ripping timbers.This are called 'frame saws' in Continental Europe,still preferred to the wider handsaws more commonly used in the US & UK.

Never loosen the blade on mine. New blade every 3 or 4 cords.
Coat the blade with 3-in-1 oil when putting away.
If it's cutting crooked it is usually the operator, pushing down too hard &/or blade & handle off plane when sawing.
Got the saw from my over Dad 35 years ago,
**he always told me, when we were out cutting with it, "your going crooked, let the saw do the work"**
He bought a chain saw after I left home. Ha Ha. But I learned to cut with either arm, many, many cords.
Never had any trouble winning when arm wrestling. (either arm)
I've learned it is the same for a chain saw, don't force it, let the saw do the work.
Bow saw is now my camping saw. Got the double bladed axe too. At one time, I was pretty good with both.
I got lots of practice. That was our wood getting tools. Memories ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.