Box elder good to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not wood ID expert, but I thought box elder have a ring of really bright red in them? I don't see any of that in the splits above.

The red color really varies in intensity and amount from what I've split.

I'm not wood ID expert, but I thought box elder have a ring of really bright red in them? I don't see any of that in the splits above.

The red ring is from fungus so some are darker than others. This tree had a light red pattern to it but only noticeable up close. I'll try to get a better pick of a piece.

Reactions: Shane N
I have Box Elder.... no value to scrounger? I have a near dead one but I don't even want too burn it.

Yet!

One thing you can remember is that box elder is in the maple family so that says right off that it is good wood. No, it will not compare with oak or ash or beech but it will burn and give you good heat. In mid winter use it only for day time burning because it won't hold the fires long like other hardwoods. Fall and spring are good times to use it also.

We've burned quite a bit of box elder but haven't had any for many years now. I do not recall it smelling bad when burning but then, people tell me that red oak is foul smelling too. I do not think so at all.

One thing you can remember is that box elder is in the maple family so that says right off that it is good wood. No, it will not compare with oak or ash or beech but it will burn and give you good heat. In mid winter use it only for day time burning because it won't hold the fires long like other hardwoods. Fall and spring are good times to use it also.

We've burned quite a bit of box elder but haven't had any for many years now. I do not recall it smelling bad when burning but then, people tell me that red oak is foul smelling too. I do not think so at all.

Good to know Dennis. I'll try burning some early next year and see how it does. Most of it is split big and long so if it does ok I might save some for day burning like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.