Box stoves - hard to resist

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
There is an irresistable quality to these old box stoves. They're as much a pet as they are a heater.

This one just came up for sale locally. It's an old Lange, and looks to be in good shape. It's just like the one in this thread but without the smoke chamber on top:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/28031

They're asking too much for it, and I am using all of my restraint to avoid bargaining them down and moving it from their garage into mine.

Attachments

• lange1.jpg
    lange1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 441
  • lange2.jpg
    lange2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 444
precaud said:
There is an irresistable quality to these old box stoves. They're as much a pet as they are a heater.

This one just came up for sale locally. It's an old Lange, and looks to be in good shape. It's just like the one in this thread but without the smoke chamber on top:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/28031

They're asking too much for it, and I am using all of my restraint to avoid bargaining them down and moving it from their garage into mine.

Buy the stove. You aren't really burning wood until you are tending to three wood stoves.

Looks pretty sweet. I like the non-boxy quality of the Langes. Did the Leprechaun sell?

BeGreen said:
Looks pretty sweet. I like the non-boxy quality of the Langes. Did the Leprechaun sell?

Yes, four hours after I listed it, it was gone...

Hell, I want another tin stove. Mine didn't have the fancy cast door on the front. Fed it through the flaps on the top. That would bounce up and down when it was rocking. Used to sit a brick on the flap.

Attachments

• tin stove.jpg
    tin stove.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 864
precaud said:
LOL. But I only have two chimneys... :)

It would look pretty good in the back yard, I bet.

Wow,BB you had the deluxe model. My air intake was stamped metal if I remember right. First top loader for me.

precaud said:
Nice BB, except yours only has ONE air spinner... :)

Remembering that tin stove I think it is just about time for my annual "You know you are a real wood burner if... thread.

Funny thing is it was looking like the day I bought it when I tossed it in the landfill. Cost me thirty bucks at the hardware store. And heated better than the Jotul F3 sitting where it once proudly sat and chattered that top lid. I replaced it with a 55 gallon barrel stove. My basement has seen a lot of stove history. :)

BeGreen said:
Wow,BB you had the deluxe model. My air intake was stamped metal if I remember right. First top loader for me.

The pic isn't mine. I had that top loader too. Why I said I didn't have the deluxe cast door.

Does anyone know what model number this thing is?

Edit: never mind, I found it. It is a 6303A. One oddity about it is that it does not have burn plates, because the sides were curved for added strength. Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.