Boxing in my new chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Norsk

Sep 27, 2010
Central, MN
I installed a regency stove in our lower level and used Metalbestos pipe to go up through the next level. This is our first wood stove. Can I place vents in the boxed in area? It is dry walled with fire grade drywall. I don't know if placing a vent on the box will offer warmth or would create a problem. The inspector did not know.

Also, I'm over 2 inches away from the framing, although in two to spots I'm under 3 inches. Can anyone speak to what type of safety testing is done on these pipes? Just wondering if I can I sleep at night.

Thanks

Yes, you can vent the chase. It will probably be most effective if you put a vent at the top and bottom to assist convection. The class A pipe is safely tested at 2" clearances, though no harm exceeding the minimums. Have a good night's sleep.

While I cannot tell you exactly what "safety testing" is done, I can tell you I hang with several mechanical and materials engineers, as well as a couple civil, and I am positive, if the manufacturer and .gov has come up with "2 inches is safe" you can bet the true safe value is at least 1/4 of that, or in this case 1/2 inch. As long as you meet the minimum (2") everywhere, you are, as they say, golden.

with my stove blazing on a full load, I can go up in my attic were the chase is open and touch the pipe with my hand and it's cool to the touch. Amazing. My chase has all the appropriate clearances. I should probably close in the attic side too, but the inspector did not require it - so it's still open. I feel very safe with my set up. My chase is insulated on the house wall side only and I worried that the flue temps might be too hot for the insulation or what if the insulation fell loose and against the flue. But I don't worry after feeling the pipe for myself. It is amazing. You may find that venting the chase doesn't do much. Warm up and sleep well.

Status
Not open for further replies.