1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Boxing in the Electrical Box with Non-Mortise European Hinges! -Inexpensively!

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Don2222, May 18, 2012.

1. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Well, time to enclose the shed electrical box for better looks! LOL

So I got some 1x4 pine stock that I had laying around. Then went to home depot for smooth Birch Finished 1/2" 4'x4' plywood. approx $13.00 the most expensive part! LOL
    Got some Non-Mortise European Hinges for $5 and a knob for $1.27! That is all.

Cut 1x4 and nailed to studs to make box. Notched out top and bottom 1x4 to fit around stud.
    Cut plywood approx 17x17.5 then cut in two. When mounting the hindges I had to grind down the points of the screws and add 2 washers and a lock washer to keep them from protruding out the front! The top is stationary because I will pull the T-Stat out and mount that on top. See pics below

Any suggestions on finish? Stain or Paint?

FYI
    See pics and how the shed electrical box got there in the link below! LOL
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...ld-i-use-10-3-uf-b-or-10-2-uf-b-and-is.76717/

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

Well, I decided to go with a coat of pre-stain and Early American color Old Masters wiping stain for 1 coat.

Then 3 coats of polyurethane! Then just added the brushed Nickel Knob to open!

See pic below

Attached Files:

3. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH