Boxwood on a coverd deck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzzmea

Nov 24, 2015
houston
Good Morning everyone,

I'm new to this thread/site and need some guidance/advice...I just recently purchased a fantastic new Boxwood style wood stove from a local garage sale site for pennies on the dollar...it was literally used one time....lol... my intention is to place it on my covered deck outside. It will site on the edge next to the deck railings and I need to know what I can do to fire proof the deck railing behind and also the wood decking below the stove. the flue pipe is going to come directly up, and make two 90 degree elbow bends so it terminates outside and above my roof deck (secured to the eaves with some double walled pipe and some pipe hangers of some sort...). the idea is to be able to sit out on the deck in colder weather and not be smoked out from under it like the chiminea does to us...and also, we enjoy cooking breakfast "old school" on the stove in our cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens...any advice on how to keep the deck and the railing from sparking up while maybe reflecting some of the heat back onto the porch?

Johnny

You will need to treat that just like a home installation. All the clearance to combustibles and hearth requirements should be located in the manual and need to be followed. If I remember correctly, the boxwood has some ridiculous clearance to combustible requirements (like 3 ft).

3ft? no way that's working on my deck...lol...my dad had one in a mobile home for decades...it was in a corner and all he had was the backer board...I guess its called the stove board? it is outside, at the edge...lots of space on each side and in front. the only thing im really concerned with is the deck below and the railings behind it. I currently have a bbq smoker pit directly behind it in the yard. it runs around 250-400 degrees when im cooking and I don't have anything protecting the railing there...never have a problem. do you think the stove board set an inch or two away from the railing will be good? (oh and one on the floor to sit the stove on top of)?

do you think the stove board set an inch or two away from the railing will be good? (oh and one on the floor to sit the stove on top of)?
This has to be determined by the manual. Some manuals have specifics for shielding (some don't). And for the floor you don't just want to do a guessing game for the pad. R value requirements must be met (if required, stoves vary).
Do yourself a BIG favor and download the manual. Even though it is an outside deck you want to do it safely. Deck fires can turn into house fires.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Welcome to the forums. Rather than give advice on how to proceed (or not), let me approach your scenario from another angle: regardless of how you install this, is your insurance going to cover losses from an accidental fire? That is one reason most here are going to suggest you follow code and all recommended clearances, even though no doubt many setups that do not meet code never cause a problem.

Reactions: Seanm
My own take . . . install it the right way . . . just because folks may not follow the code or manufacturing instructions and get away with no issues does not make everything safe -- generally it just means they're very lucky.

Another way of thinking . . . insurance may cover a loss of property from an accidental fire or even from an improper installation . . . but while houses can be rebuilt fairly easily, the life of a son, daughter, wife or husband . . . not so much. All fatal home fires don't necessarily start inside the home.

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.