Boxwood Stove Turning White

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
~*~vvv~*~ said:
LOL! wonder why key dampers have to be added to EPA stoves?

Only in rare instances where pipe exceeds recommended length, causing excess draft that the stove was not designed for.

Jags said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

Only in rare instances where pipe exceeds recommended length, causing excess draft that the stove was not designed for.
http://www.gulland.ca/florida_bungalow_syndrome.htm

~*~vvv~*~ said:
Jags said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

Thank you for backing my statement.

Jags said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
Jags said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

Thank you for backing my statement.
whats the nature of air buoyancy?

~*~vvv~*~ said:
so the 2ndary air intake doesnt result as a hole into the stove?

Of course, but that has nothing to do with the matter. You are able to control the burn rate below 5 kg/hr with an EPA stove and you can't with the Vogelzang. A minimum of 5 kg/hour coupled with extremely thin cast sides (stove only weighs a buck and a quarter!) are a recipe for extremely high surface temps. I've burned in sheet metal stoves, and a good fire will get them to char wood at 3 feet. These stoves are practically sheet metal in thickness, but made of much more fragile cast iron (of dubious quality, I'm sure). As BG says, they will likely crack before they warp. Then what?

Jags said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

Looks like it might not be that rare, correct?

oldspark said:
Jags said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

Its not "hens teeth" rare, but is not a real common issue brought up on this board. Now, boxwood stove turning the paint white, overheating, and being uncontrollable. Real high percentage :lol: .

Jags said:
oldspark said:
Jags said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

Its not "hens teeth" rare, but is not a real common issue brought up on this board. Now, boxwood stove turning the paint white, overheating, and being uncontrollable. Real high percentage :lol: .
Quite frankly being gone for my job and having the wife have a problem with a fire running away from her scares the crap out of me, she ran the old stove with no problem but that stove was easy to run.

Jags said:
oldspark said:
Jags said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

did u read the link? Gulland resorted to blocking the 2ndary air hole. WHY?

oldspark said:
Jags said:
oldspark said:
Jags said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

Quite frankly being gone for my job and having the wife have a problem with a fire running away from her scares the crap out of me, she ran the old stove with no problem but that stove was easy to run.

The summit is a pretty reputable stove. Rest easy, she will get the hang of it.

But I digress to the OP. If your plans are to be a wood burner, you may want to look into a more reputable stove. For the safety and comfort of your family, and for the reduced fuel consumption and for the environment (particulate emissions). Just my opinion.

Pook, you sayyou don't take JG as gospel, but keep quoting him. Gulland lists that as one of the "options" for a problem situation of too strong draft.

This thread is off on theoretical tangents and not really helping the OP. Please get back on topic or it will have to be closed.

oldspark said:

That's why I get a little freaked when newbies come on here with stove problems and somebody tells them to fill it up with pallet wood or kiln-dried lumber. Not a very good idea in a system that may have excessive draft.

For the record, while draft does increase with increasing chimney height, it is far from a linear increase. Going from the EPA test flue to a 25' tall flue shouldn't cause a stove to overfire all by itself. The EPA test flues use induced draft, and I have no idea what the test pressure is set at, but a 25' tall 6" flue with a 200ºF average flue gas temperature differential should draw about .1 inches of water. That is a figure I see often in the literature as an ideal draft. Get those flue gases up to a 400º average and you are drawing .16 inches with the same flue - maybe enough to cause a serious overfire.

I am in the same boat old spark. Scared scared to death the wife is going to over fire the stove or create tons of creosote. I was working on the garage a few days ago and noticed tons of smoke pouring out the chimney. I get down off the ladder and go in to find a huge birch junk sitting on top of a few coals, air set on low. This is the reason I willl be cleaning the chimney EVERY month this season. Just to be safe.

The OP has a Kent Logfire insert that I would imagine is the prime mover for heating the house.

BeGreen said:
Pook, you sayyou don't take JG as gospel, but keep quoting him. Gulland lists that as one of the "options" for a problem situation of too strong draft.

This thread is off on theoretical tangents and not really helping the OP. Please get back on topic or it will have to be closed.

Sorry, please don't close the thread because I added some more "theory". Just trying to explain why we all think these stoves are dangerous, especially to a newbie.

Looking back through the threads I think more info from the OP would be of help, what type of wood is he useing and any temp sensors on the flue and how hard is he running the stove?

BrotherBart said:
The OP has a Kent Logfire insert that I would imagine is the prime mover for heating the house.

I saw that and wondered where the VG box was being used. Maybe not even in the house?

BeGreen said:
Putting a key damper and a thermometer on the flue pipe or stove top is a good idea so that you can regulated the stove better and know what temp it is burning at.

BG, I think part of the problem is the damper that is in the collar of those stoves. Before a key damper has a chance to slow down the fire, it will dramatically increase the temperature inside the firebox because all of the heat can't escape up the flue. With a thin-walled stove like these are, that can cause a nearly instantaneous rise in stove surface temps right by the flue collar. That where most of the ones I've seen are always white.

BeGreen said:

bottom line= how does a stove [EPA] that has 2" hole feeding the firebox gonna be more airtight that one that doesnt? put a keydamper on it makes sense, replacing it with EPA stove doesnt. OP may have money issues also?

2" hole feeding secondaries? What stove? On the one JG showed, that is for secondary and primary. When normally closed all the way that air control is only about 1/8 open. Just enough to keep the secondaries fed. He also showed allowing this port to be closed off more is one of four effective options.

As for the OP, I have no idea why or where they are using the stove, and not suggesting they replace it. Just that they know what they are burning are very careful with clearances and regulation of the stove.

A key damper isn't an issue. The VZ Boxwood stove comes with one built in.

For occasional use, these thing are probably ok. I would not leave one unattended, definitely couldn't sleep with an active fire burning. In 17 years fighting fires with a fairly busy, mostly rural fire department, I have seen one house burned to the ground where a stove similar to this was likely the cause. Probably not just the stove, more likely the installation. As cheap as these things are, and given the economic situation, I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen more. But I suppose most who have them can't get them hot enough, with wood they cut yesterday, to cause much of a problem.

You all don't know how helpful you've been. This stove belongs to my brother in law. Not being a stove expert in any way I needed to run the situation past those who I consider my "experts". I knew posting here would bring out the truth about the stove. I was a little frightened right away when he asked my opinion on why the metal turned white on his new stove. I was sure it had been overfired, but didn't know how to advise him. My guess is the stove will go back to where it was purchased.

Thank you, maybe we avoided a major disaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.