Boxwood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r3vak

Oct 1, 2007
I have just been intruduced to these stoves and was wondering if anyone had any input on them im looking to heat my basement so that my furnace doesnt have to heat it.... for only 240$$ is it safe? and im getting all my wood free so if it isnt the most effcient i wont be upset. Thanks in advanced

IMO, a $240.00 stove is too good to be true.How can a manufacturer actually design and produce a UL,CSA listed wood-burning appliance for that price?

The U.S. Stove Company boxwood stove you asked about is in fact UL tested and listed by Warnock Hersey's labs for installation and use in the U.S. The problem with these little stoves is efficiency and controlled operation. It is not an EPA certified stove and is almost guaranteed to provide less heat per quantity of wood than a comparable EPA approved stove and to generate more smoke and chimney clogging creosote.

For not a lot more money than the box stoves there are EPA certified alternatives that will pay the difference in the short run with savings in wood consumption and chimney maintenance.

Also, the box stove manual requires the installation of a barometric chimney damper that is going to add additional cost to the chimney installation that would not be a requirement of the more efficient stoves so that narrows the total cost difference.

Unfortunately when one enlarges the picture the embossed letters of the stove in the picture is Vogelzang BX 42E stove

which its manual clearly states is not UL listed. IT is Epa exempt due to two cooking plates on the top

http://www.vogelzang.com/Manuals/bx42eMnl.htm

"NOTE: This stove is
NOT a UL listed stove."

They never mention it being suitable for within the dwelling installations. Here is where they claim it is best suited to be installed.

"This extra large Boxwood stove is an exceptional value that is ideal for many applications including workshops, hunting camps, barns and cabins."

I'll let other critique the quality and safety of this stove. My comments are the same 4 days earlier critiquing the Vogelzang B26E

Just type in Vogelzang in the search function of the site and get a run down of the discussion that have occurred concerning these stoves.

I think you would be better off looking at EPA UL certified stoves, than risking operating this stove within your home

Edit Add

did anyone note the BTU rating of this stove 106,000 BTUs I wonder if this capacity is when the stove is glowing deep cherry red so hot it is at the point of bursting the cast iron to reach 106,000 BTUs

If the poster is looking for 100,000 btu capacity, then BEgreen's suggestion of the small Jotuls and Aspen are not going to cut it. This one claims to take a 27" split

If you watch local ads, eBay and craigslist, you should see a Jotul 602, 118 or a Vermont Castings Aspen show up for under $500. These are good, reliable boxwood stoves. Look them over carefully if they are used. A small Englander from Home Depot would also be a better bet.

As an alternative, you might consider an Englander pellet stove for the basement if pellet fuel is reasonably priced in your region.

Ha, Elk pulled out those magnifying glasses and found the sign of the V......

I can see Elk standing there with some symbolic repelling device - maybe a flag or a UL listing plate - screaming "Back, Back, Back" as the V stove retreats hastily (my goodness, I think I should write a book) - Tractor Supply almost pulled a fast one......

I used these stoves (American made Atlanta versions) in an army tent, so we can add that to the possible places - but, in general, not in a house....

There are certain locales that may allow unlisted stoves, but the question is.....just because it is possible you COULD, why WOULD you? We are playing with fire, and at the very least a testing lab listing on a new stove should be the first criteria.

Cories offer sounds like a good one! Send him a quick PM. (private message) by using the little PM button on his post.

Status
Not open for further replies.