Brad Pitt building energy efficient homes in New Orleans....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
A nice gesture....it's good to have celebs setting examples:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071203/us_nm/neworleans_pitt_dc

Actor Brad Pitt said on Monday he wants to build 150 environmentally friendly homes for families displaced by Hurricane Katrina in a hard-hit New Orleans neighborhood

He has been a vocal critic of faltering government efforts to rebuild New Orleans and has worked with environmental group Global Green USA on a separate project to construct environmentally friendly homes in the city.

Pitt has pledged up to match up to $5 million in donations for the Make It Right project, which he announced at a conference in New York in September.

An international team of 13 architectural firms has submitted designs for the single-family homes, the first of which could be finished by May 2008. The new homes will be elevated to withstand future floods.

I agree that it's nice to see him putting forward the gesture, but is it a good idea to build in an area below sea level... situated on the banks of the largest river in the US? Green building isn't going to help much if it's underwater next year. It's only a matter of time before another hurricane hits.

Matt

Suddenly, "actors" are much smarter than logical people......their expertise is in WHAT??? Come-on.......gimme a break ! (sorta' reminds me of "elected officials" being much smarter, because they got elected. Hmmmmm...think about it.

Expertise is the ability to bring $$$ and parties together! That is called networking, and celebs AND politicians have access to more of it than you and I.

As far as building below sea level and in other inhospitable places, I guess we can write off Holland, much of California and even the Tn valley - and even where I live, because if it was not for the 200 foot dams uphill we would all be swept away!

We also must get rid of all the communities on barrier islands up and down the entire eastern seaboard.

So it's tough for me to judge all that.....I know this much, you and I don't want a couple more million people in our back yards, so let the floridians and NO stay there.....

Hey, at least Brad is putting in 5 million of his own money! That beats politicians any day.

Thank you, Mr. "Webmaster" for being so non-biased ! Didn't know that your role was to arbitrate. Sorry to have offended you.

Webmaster said:
Expertise is the ability to bring $$$ and parties together! That is called networking, and celebs AND politicians have access to more of it than you and I.

As far as building below sea level and in other inhospitable places, I guess we can write off Holland, much of California and even the Tn valley - and even where I live, because if it was not for the 200 foot dams uphill we would all be swept away!

We also must get rid of all the communities on barrier islands up and down the entire eastern seaboard.

So it's tough for me to judge all that.....I know this much, you and I don't want a couple more million people in our back yards, so let the floridians and NO stay there.....

Hey, at least Brad is putting in 5 million of his own money! That beats politicians any day.

What map are you looking at?

I volunteer to entertain his wife while he is busy with all this...

I held my nose and watched the interview with Larry King and I was pretty impressed with Pitt. Still can't stomach Larry King, but that's a separate issue (he had the nerve to drop Anglenia Jolie's name in front of her husband, i.e., "I've known her for years"--what a loser!). Anyway, are we so cynical that we have to sneer at someone who's trying to help other people, putting his own money and prestige on the line in the process? He went to great lengths not to bash Bush or FEMA or anyone else. Political grandstanding or career building is not what he's after, as far as I can tell. Here's a guy who realizes he can make a difference on several levels, and he's doing it. If he can get his rich Hollywood colleagues to cough up $150,000 apiece to build somebody a new, energy-efficient house, who can argue with that?

And yes, wahoo, the Mrs. is more than welcome around here anytime. The ex too, for that matter.

Think what you want of Brad, but he's pretty well versed with green building and architecture has been a long term passion for him. Hats off to anyone who brings some light to green building practices.

I heard him on NPR the other day talking about this very subject. The overall feeling I came away with is that if we're going to rebuild anyway then why not rebuild green? AND lets help out some folks in N.O. who haven't been helped out yet.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.