Bradford Pear/Who knew!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
Scored some seasoned bradford pear today and was amazed at the burn quality! Hot and clean and leaves a coal bed similar to Hickory! I put a large hickory split and a pear round (6") on top (the B. pear was a bit damp). Ran a cycle (500*= 100% closed air) and came back down to reload to find they were both coaled but still solid centered. I loaded back up with a couple small B. Pear rounds (6" and 3") and was back at 500 within a couple minutes. I'm glad to see this because I cut a TON of these down every year in the landscape business due to their splitting nature if there is much wind. I've got a few 18" rounds to split tomorrow and we'll see if the trunk does as good as the limbs!

Jason

I guess it makes sense that it would be great firewood. It's in the same family as apple which is awesome firewood. I would think that would be true of most of the non-stone fruit trees. Not sure how peach, plum, etc are for firewood but think they would be at least as good as cherry. Lucky you to have a nice supply.

Darn I passed on a nice pile already in rounds a few weeks ago. Spilt from a storm. I couldn't find much information on it as far as burning. I'll know better next time.

Can't tell you how much wood I have passed up. From now on, if the wood is cut into rounds and has a free sign on it - I'm gonna stop and get it.

Last week I saw a huge Pine tree get cut down, next time I went by all the rounds were laying on the ground with a sign 'free wood' I kept driving but not anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.