1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

branches falling off oak

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by wesessiah, Apr 16, 2013.

1. wesessiah

wesessiah Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Lincolnton NC
    it's a black oak... or what i believe to be a black oak, something it the red oak family at least i suppose, with the large 5 point leaves, the rough bark goes a long ways up, but isn't yellow inside it. i've had two large limbs break off, and they have black veins/hollow areas going through them. i took another one like it down last year when i noticed it seemed to be falling apart as well, and the black ran up the trunk a good ways, and into some of the limbs. also, contrary to common knowledge, the one from last year was as fun to split as a sweet gum. both of them about 2 feet in diameter, and 60-70 feet tall, but with only a 20-30 foot spread... but maybe that's due to both being at the edge of a densely wooded area. does this sound like some kind of disease? if so, would it spread to others? thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    If oak wasn't so readily distinctive by its leaves and acorns, it would be identified by its "self-pruning" feature. It could be a disease, but healthy oaks shed twigs, branches and limbs regularly.

TE
  3. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    A lot of Reds here seem to be afflicted by something in this area. I don't know if it's disease, drought, or what. Many rot out in the center of the trunk and eventually die. Also, if they are at the edge of a newly-cleared lot, they don't seem to like the change in environment and end up dying over the next several years. Right now, in an established woods, I have probably six dead standing and several already down. :(
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
  5. wesessiah

wesessiah Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Lincolnton NC
    thanks for the link, i didn't notice your thread before. this has me a little concerned since i have a pin oak about 100 feet from that spot that's about 70ish feet tall and a little over 3 feet wide, and about 30 feet from the house. it still has a healthy look, unlike the other ones, but that's a little close for comfort, and there's no way i could take it down. i didn't even put two and two together, the the tree that came down in the storm in my poison oak thread is an oak, and it's over 100 feet from the others
    the lot isn't newly cleared, it's been the way it is now since 1979, those two just so happen to be at the edge.
    not normal self pruning either. there are no longer any branches below about 40 feet, probably 75% of what's left is on one side of the tree, and overall probably has half the volume in spread that it had 2 years ago.

edit: any recommended online places to buy white ash or black locust from for replacements? i keep a garden close to that spot, so black locust should be good.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    The discoloration is caused by rot and insect damage. Ants love to get in the oak trees and hollow them out. Not sure what comes first, the insects or the rot though.

Many states offer low cost / no cost seedling programs for homeowners/landowners. I would check into that for your state for the trees you are looking for. I got a couple hundred bare root seedlings last year for ~$30 in shipping.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Right Lukem. We have some trees coming soon that we ordered from the county. They have a program every spring with many types of trees available for decent prices.