brand new englander stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vcsnover

Aug 30, 2008
West Virginia
I just got a new stove from the local feed/farm store, and Englander. Great stove as far as construction, etc. My question is, as I plan to insert this into my fireplace on the existing fireplace brick/tile.. is it okay to take the pedestal off completely and just sit it in there? The stove is made so the bottom of the stove will still not be directly on the floor of the fireplace. There is about 3/4 to 1 inch "wings" for lack of a better word, that the pedestal bolts to that will still hold the stove up some.
Thanks for any wisdom/comments.
Victor

so much for reading the directions

He can read the manual till the cows come home and still not know. It doesn't say anything about it. :lol:

But since the stove is not safety tested without one or the other I sure wouldn't do it. Whatever Englander stove he has. Which one he does not say. But on either the 30-NC or the 13-NC the ash pan surround should hit the floor before the ped mount rails do.

A freestanding woodstove is not just an insert with legs...just as an insert is not just a freestander without 'em. They're two very closely related but different animals. Built differently. Purpose-built. Then tested and certified. Perhaps you can get a set of shorter legs that would allow it to be installed as a hearth stove? Rick

fossil is right , the stove must have its included legs or the mounted pedestal in place in order to be compliant. the stove cannot be just set on a hearth without one of these options employed and still be a legal install. it was not tested for this purpose so the listing would be voided.

do it right or dont do it. if one of my stoves wont work in the footprint you need it to fit in , shop for a different brand that will do so and still satisfy its listing. i'll help you as much as i can even if its a competitor's unit , i'd rather see a compliant install of a competitors unit than make a sale for an illegal one with one of mine.

Thanks for all of the advice, I believe I have it worked out... it is going to fit as is, just a bit of a squeeze at the top. We're talking millimeters for it to clear the front lip of my fireplace, then it fits just fine once I get it by that. I just have to kinda tilt the stove back a wee bit and it slides in good. Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I am sure I will be back for more.

BrotherBart said:
Contact Forum member bluefrier. He cut the legs down on his NC-13 to fit his fireplace. There shouldn't be any difference between that and ordering the six inch leg set from ESW for a hundred and change.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/19629/

difference is that your 30-nc was tested with the 6 inch leg set though your year model was shipped with the 9 inchers standard (which we started using a year or two after testing)so its still a valid application , the 30 nor the 13 have been tested or approved with legs which have been cut down below the 6 inch length. his unit would have come stock with 6 inchers, not the nine inch legs the 30 comes with.

I am just wondering how you are going to get you chimeney liner down the chimney and into the stove. and do you have the steel pice that goes around the stove to cover up the front of the fierplace.
Jim

Why dont you just take that one back and get the right one to fit into you fireplace. I have an eanglander insert in my fireplace it works real good but with out the help from this fourm it would of been harder to put in. its a lot to think about if you want to do it right..
Jim c

Cost of the stove was a factor, as I could not afford a more expensive stove.
To update: I have the stove installed, got the stainless liner put in, we ended up pushing/pulling it up the chimney from the bottom up. I put a stove floor board underneath the stove and hooked up my blower and everything is working well. I am very pleased with how warm my house is considering the small size of the stove. I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice from all of you guys. Thanks again.

I am very happy for you and I know how much work and headach it was. I know this year I am going to be warm with the insert and my pellet stove. and not have another cold winter in my house

Status
Not open for further replies.