Brand new Harman 52i..serious problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superglyde

Sep 19, 2013
Hey guys, As I posted yesterday on my previous thread, started new stove up first time yesterday. burned a half bag for about 8 hours. Ladies in the family keep hearing a rapid ticking sound that I couldn't hear (no high frequencies anymore for me), and said it sounded like a card on a bicycle wheel. At some point, it suddenly got real loud and I think its the combustion motor. I shut the stove down and the combustion fan would start and stop and the noise would increase and decrease with the rpms. Its not the distribution fan cause no air was coming out the top.
To top it off, I can't get the door open!. You lift the handle and it does the normal break the seal pop out just a fraction, but I cannot pull it open. Reached around the side to the left with both hands and tugged and tugged and it would not open. Its like its glued on.
Here is a link to youtube of the motor sounds.

and another

Not sure what the ticking sound is, but your door gasket fused a bit to the curing paint. Yer dealer should've told you to open the door periodically during the first burn.

You can try pulling it open while sliding a PLASTIC putty knife between the gasket and the stove body. Work from the outside TOWARDS the hinge. Might help to round and smooth the corners of yer putty knife to avoid damaging the gasket.

IMO call the dealer as it should be under warranty. Did they install it or did you?

Not sure what the ticking sound is, but your door gasket fused a bit to the curing paint. Yer dealer should've told you to open the door periodically during the first burn.

You can try pulling it open while sliding a PLASTIC putty knife between the gasket and the stove body. Work from the outside TOWARDS the hinge. Might help to round and smooth the corners of yer putty knife to avoid damaging the gasket.
Thanks, I kind of figured that could be it, and if it is, thats some powerful paint!

I had my new P35i installed last week, on initial fire up I heard a slight whine and when shutting down a ticking noise. The installer diagnosed the combustion blower as being the culprit. I asked him how long it was going to take for him to get a new one and fix it? He replied 5 minutes, I have them on the truck! My stove was built on 10/31/13, perhaps they had a batch of bad blowers? I'm not sure if the P35i and the P52i share the same blower.......

I just listened to yours, similar noise but yours is way louder....

I had the same problem opening the door for the first time after running the stove you just have to put one hand on the stove and really pull hard on the door, the gasket sticks the first time you use it on a new stove, I really had to pull hard. Check the fan cover inside it just has a latch to release it and center the cover.

its definitely one of the blowers......probably an adjustment of the impeller on the spindle.....hard to imagine the dealer missed this when installed. Yea, not normal, would be covered under warranty.

its definitely one of the blowers......probably an adjustment of the impeller on the spindle.....hard to imagine the dealer missed this when installed. Yea, not normal, would be covered under warranty.

X2, Just about 2 weeks ago I installed a new combustion blower in a PP38. I heard the same sound with the test cord on the new blower. The motor cooling blades were hitting the back of the stove. The impeller blades that go on the shaft with the set screw were fine. So I just had to bend very slightly all the petals of the cooling blades until there was no more noise! Nothing wrong with the blower just needed adjustment!

Thanks lousy weather and don
While you were responding I took it apart and that's exactly what it was... Set screw on the fan was not tightened down and impeller was rubbing on the cover. You can see the scrapes. Could not tighten it down completely as it is stripped but have it tight enuf for tonight. Gonna tell the dealer I want a new fan. It did
not have a notch to tell the right position so I pushed it against the back and pulled out a bit so it wouldn't touch the cover.

Reactions: Lousyweather
Status
Not open for further replies.