BRAND NEW HEARTHSTONE PHOENIX 3 WEEKS AGO WITH MANY MANY PROBLEMS !!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
I've been doing a new thing with my heritage and getting great results. Load that firebox full, use whole firebox meaning lay logs against the glass. Seriously, every inch of box possible. The glass will burn clean and I am getting longer burns and more heat due to the bigger fuel charge.

What are you using for wood? I've got a lot of smaller stuff left, standing dead aspen. How close do you pack these to the afterburn tubes? How long are the longer burns you're getting?

Okay, I guess this constitutes an official threadjack . . . or the wheels wobbling off into the tall grass, as someone recently poetically put it . . .

With the OP MIA, a threadjack is likely unnoticed.

I am using local "hard" and softwoods which are all relatively low btu when compared to eastern hardwoods. Right now I'm into douglas fir but I have loads of experience with red alder(my favorite), willow, western red cedar, and cottonwood. Aspen would be fine too. These modern stoves chow on all woods just fine it seems and are able to perform to the specs doing it. I pack the firebox up to the tubes, often sliding wood along the bottoms of the tubes to get the max load. This is why I am happy that hearthstone got rid of the cotter pin design since those buggers cramp my style when I'm trying to fill the box.

The longest burns I get, as defined by the time lapsed after loading until I can restart easily without a match, are 9-10 hours. At this point stove temp is about 250, which seems cool but my normal active stove temps are only only around 350-450 so it's only down 150 degrees. My chimnney is all vertical, double wall to the ceiling and then 8' of class A.

I have burned about 20 cords in this stove and have never replaced a gasket or tested for air leaks. None are apparent but who knows. The stove performs just as Hearthstone said it would, they really deserve credit for that I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.