Brand new member from WI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snoops

Dec 9, 2011
NW Wisconsin
Greeting from WI, been lurking on here a few days. Thought I would give it a shot. I have a few crazy ideas to run through you guys so I am interested in getting started. This will just be my introductory post though.

I got a deal ($250) on a used American Harvest pellet stove with almost all the double lined pipe and thimble from a guy at work. He's a part time cash cropper so he burned corn, but the price of corn and his wife not liking all the dust from the corn in the house, he scrapped it! I installed the stove myself (almost killing myself carting it down the stairs) had it all inspected for insurance reasons and my own piece of mind. I like the stove a lot, although I wish the hopper was a little bigger as it only holds 40lbs of pellets. Its a continuous run stove, not sure if this is normal to have a stove you just light and let burn. I live in a 110 year old house here in NW Wisconsin, I just planted the stove in the basement and kinda rigged a house fan up in the cold air return of my forced air furnace. I figure that way if the furnace should have to run it wont blow in the basement also I dont have to run my hot air through the (cold) heat exchanger on the furnace. The temp was 0 today so I had to turn the stove up to 6 out of a possible 9 and its 71 in the living room. Here are a few pictures of my rig.

Kinda messy down here I just filled the hopper earlier today and have not had a chance to vacuum, tommorow is stove cleaning day so I will take care of then. The hopper holds about 25 forty pound bags. There is chute outside that I fill from.

IMG_2723.jpg

I can't remember the brand of pellets I am using right now but I do know I got them at Fleet Farm for 189/ton, and they are hard wood. No problems with them so far.
IMG_2725.jpg

The hopper chute and thimble, I still got to put an electrical outlet in!!
IMG_2726.jpg

I had a hard time here, I exited the exhaust though an old window that I had boarded up years ago. I didn't feel like dealing with the window well so I flashed a piece of treated plywood and bolted it to the window well itself. The problem is the vent came out just a little above grade so I had to this craziness. The hopper chute now sits to the right of the vent (I took the picture before I built it) Naturally I caulked everything up after the money shot here.
IMG_2600.jpg

This the (trial) fan I rigged up to blow in the cold air return. HaHa it used to be on a stand and oscilated until I got a hold of it. I think it works good so may be just tidy it up a bit.
IMG_2724.jpg

Welcome from yet another new guy. Your stove isn't much different than mine, except that mine is an insert.

Welcome fellow wisconsinite.

Interesting setup for sure.

I'm questioning the EVL of your vent system.

Where abouts in NW WI are ya?

smoke show said:

Thanks for the welcome.

I just learned what an EVL is!! I think mine figures right around 18 which I am guessing is high. Is there a short term fix? If I revented it with 4" would it help? I think the stove is running just alright, it could be better though. I did have to turn the vent fan all the way up because the glass was sooting up, I assume this is why?

I live in the Menomonie area.

snoops said:
smoke show said:

Thanks for the welcome.

I just learned what an EVL is!! I think mine figures right around 18 which I am guessing is high. Is there a short term fix? If I revented it with 4" would it help? I think the stove is running just alright, it could be better though. I did have to turn the vent fan all the way up because the glass was sooting up, I assume this is why?

I say run what ya got, if it gives ya probs then fix it.

Its gonna cost ya alot to fix it.

Your probly going to have to clean it more often?

I calculate your EVL at over 20'.

Menomonie? I'm an hour south of the other Menominee :lol:

The wifes grandparents use to live near the Black River Falls area.

Good Luck.

smoke show said:
snoops said:
smoke show said:

Thanks for the welcome.

I say run what ya got, if it gives ya probs then fix it.

Its gonna cost ya alot to fix it.

Your probly going to have to clean it more often?

I calculate your EVL at over 20'.

Menomonie? I'm an hour south of the other Menominee :lol:

The wifes grandparents use to live near the Black River Falls area.

Good Luck.

Now I am kinda curious if my stove is running clean. What if I try and take my vent apart right here.

I just worry that I am too close to the ground or should I not be concerned? No doubt the stove would run better if I took 13 EVL out.

IMG_2600copy.jpg

You'll need the extra rise when it snow! Keep it in there. If you start having issues either convert to 4 inch or at least from where you have it marked with a 3 to 4 inch increasing tee. Go 4 inch from that point on. If that doesn't work you'll need that 3 to 4 inch tee indoors anyway!

This is a common problem with basement installs. I went thru the same thing myself. My inspector said my outlet was too close to the ground. I need 4 inch for code in my area. So I could only do what you have done. Add a tee and go up to the recommended high they wanted. I used the 3 to 4 inch tee and I haven't had an issue. If I do I'll do the whole run in 4 inch using the 3 to 4 inch tee on the back of the stove as the starter.

By the way Welcome to our group! ;-)

My wife is always complaining about that 3" pipe... oops!! Wrong forum!

Welcome aboard!

j-takeman said:
You'll need the extra rise when it snow! Keep it in there. If you start having issues either convert to 4 inch or at least from where you have it marked with a 3 to 4 inch increasing tee. Go 4 inch from that point on. If that doesn't work you'll need that 3 to 4 inch tee indoors anyway!

This is a common problem with basement installs. I went thru the same thing myself. My inspector said my outlet was too close to the ground. I need 4 inch for code in my area. So I could only do what you have done. Add a tee and go up to the recommended high they wanted. I used the 3 to 4 inch tee and I haven't had an issue. If I do I'll do the whole run in 4 inch using the 3 to 4 inch tee on the back of the stove as the starter.

By the way Welcome to our group! ;-)

Thanks for the welcome!

I shut the stove down and took it apart where the arrow is in the picture is. The pipe was about 1/3 plugged with ash. To satisfy my curiosity I cleaned the stove up because its Saturday and started it without all that optional pipe. Runs way better, dropped my heat setting down 2 points. I didn't think my stove was running that bad but the fire looks crisp and clean like when I installed it a month and half ago. With this cold weather now the pipe is gonna have to be cleaned weekly if I put it back together. Prolly gonna put some 4 inch out there soon hopefully before signifigant snow fall.

krooser said:

Welcome aboard!

LOL! My wife is always complaining about what I call a "Tuna Can" as well! Thanks for the welcome!

Looking at your Sig, I assume you are a hot rodder. I have old Camaro I have been working on for about 5 years, and probably for another years! I got a few pictures I may post later when I am not so lazy!

I think your setup would work well with the leaf blower setup that lots of people use on this forum. Would most likely make your stove cleanups better and way quicker and do a better job. Some would depend on if you can direct the dicharge away from your home. Do a search under leaf blower and read, read, read.

Welcome.

snoops said:
I just learned what an EVL is!! I think mine figures right around 18 which I am guessing is high. Is there a short term fix? If I revented it with 4" would it help? I think the stove is running just alright, it could be better though. I did have to turn the vent fan all the way up because the glass was sooting up, I assume this is why?......

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Second, the EVL on that set-up is more like 23-24 due to all the 90 degree elbows you have, plus the 90 out of the stove......4" pipe is HIGHLY recommended for that install.

And even with the 4" making the stove breathe better, it will require cleaning more often. Luckily, since you can access it easily outside, the leaf blower trick should help a lot.

BTW, since this was a used stove, did you completely disassemble and clean everything (remove blowers, clean ash traps, etc, etc) before installing it? If not, that may also be a good reason you have to run the blower on high.

krooser said:

Welcome aboard!

I just convinced her I had 8" fingers..... :)

snoops said:
krooser said:

Welcome aboard!

LOL! My wife is always complaining about what I call a "Tuna Can" as well! Thanks for the welcome!

Looking at your Sig, I assume you are a hot rodder. I have old Camaro I have been working on for about 5 years, and probably for another years! I got a few pictures I may post later when I am not so lazy!

Hot Rods? Me? Never....

11.jpg

tjnamtiw said:
krooser said:

Welcome aboard!

I just convinced her I had 8" fingers..... :)

Gotta try that...

Nice truck krooser!

Heres a couple of my project. Its a 67RS, I did a little smoothing on her. No door handles, drip rails and flush mounted glass. Plan is a warmed up 6 liter truck engine and 6 speed.

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

Set-up many new '67's when i worked at Holz Chevy in hales Corners, WI.... test drove the first Z28 in Wisconsin!

All I got is this old c10 silvy.

Nice lookin stuff guys.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 165
krooser said:
Set-up many new '67's when i worked at Holz Chevy in hales Corners, WI.... test drove the first Z28 in Wisconsin!

Oh wow, your a relic!! I bet you have some good stories! I am embarrassed to say that I wasn't born until 76 lol. I am one of those guys who learned every actual thing I know about building a hot rod on TV or the internet, sad to say. I was just born in the wrong era.

You ever make it up to the Back to 50's car show in the Twin Cities? or Summer Nationals?

smoke show said:
All I got is this old c10 silvy.

Nice lookin stuff guys.

Good looking truck you got there. Looks like a fun cruiser! I've had the interior ripped out of mine for 2 years now so I can appreciate something you can cruise.

Welcome Snoops! A wealth of knowledge to be found here on the forums! :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.