Brand new out of Box Husky Wont start ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firefighter 29 - Awww YOu mean now I dont have to pull the Air Filter, spark plug and then dance around with the saw upside down like im getting the last quarter out of a piggy bank....but that was more fun!!!!!!!!

I was very surprised with how much came out!! atleast a tablespoon or two....and that was what 6-8 pulls......and 1/2 with choke IN....

Any dealer that does not gas the saw up for you and start it is a boob!

Sounds like everyone should avoid buying Husky Saws unless they want head aches.
I have a old Homelite the only problem I have the carb is due for a rebuild. But it still
runs good for the first few tank fulls then it doesn't want to run. But if I let it sit for
a while it runs fine.

I would be walking out of the dealer with a new saw or they can give you the equivilent as a loaner. You buy a tool to work it, do you think a tree service would stand for that kind of treatment? If they refuse they have the saw, cancel the charge! I have learned that everyone is nice when they want your money, few are still around when you have problems. I have 5 stihl dealers in the area, 3 I have dealt with are con artists. 2 are yet to be determined but 1 is near my home and I have heard good things about (new business trying to get a foothold.)

tractorboy924 said:
Firefighter 29 - Awww YOu mean now I dont have to pull the Air Filter, spark plug and then dance around with the saw upside down like im getting the last quarter out of a piggy bank....but that was more fun!!!!!!!!

I was very surprised with how much came out!! atleast a tablespoon or two....and that was what 6-8 pulls......and 1/2 with choke IN....

Sounds like it's flooding...next time you try and start it with a dry plug don't choke it just pull the trigger all the way...and don't use your trigger lock. Of course you'll have to do this on the ground...rehearse this move first because cause it's unsafe, but you can reduce the risk by thinking things threw and practicing what your going to be doing.

Anyway lets say it starts, OK then try cutting some wood with it for 5 minutes or so and see how it idles. If it idles OK cut some more wood turn it off for about 5 minutes and try starting again without using the trigger lock.

Even if it runs the saw needs servicing ...but at least you can make some production. Your dealer dropped the ball imo.

UPDATE:

Ok...end of business yesterday was the 2nd FULL day they had it......

No response so far from 2 phone calls to service department or email to Service Manager

Guess I will have to Trudge over there today at lunch and call my salesman.......I will basically say replacement saw by end of day or reverse the charge on my card...if none happens I will dispute the charge with the cc company. 3 days in a service department should be more than enough I would think..........

If Im wrong tell me...but..I also expect that its a NEW saw bought from THEM and not just a broken saw guy coming in..I should get some sort of bump to the top of service....it cant be that hard to figure out!! The iritating thing is NO return calls......how can then NOT be available..they are avoiding me...Next time I may just say Im from one of their commercial accounts like Oak hill CC and see if I get a guy!!!

I shoulda went to the mom and pop guy and ordered it.....I did it here as they had it in stock........live and learn!!

Will advise as I get updates!! I need to cut this weekend.

Not sure how it works in your state but we have 30 days to return it for a refund. I'd go get my money and spend it somewhere else. Jmo

Yeah, get your money back today and take your business elsewhere. That's BS. Don't even go for the replacement saw, get your money and go. Is there someone else locally that can supply you the saw want??. If so, mention them by name on your way out the door. ;-)

I wouldn't even try and contact them again about getting your saw back, just let them know you are cancelling the charge on your credit card then buy from someone else. Think about it, even if they get the saw running would you want to deal with them again if you have a problem in the future? Contact Husky and tell them about your experience with this dealer regardless of what you end up doing!

Just called to say its all set. They still insist it was the gas. Tech said he drained the tank and dried her all up...Put in 87 octane mix and she fired right up....I said did you adjust the carb at all....NOPE..it was gas...up front just come in and pick it up...sorry took so long......

So I said again....oh okay..must not like that gas huh.....tech say yep......87 and she runs great....I said oh......just had to tweak the main jet maybe a little...Tech...Yeah..thats all BAMN GOTCHA- SO YOU DID adjust the carb I said.......Tech say...well..just a little but that was not your problem..it was the gas........He said she was emitting a little too much gas into the carb initially but that was not the problem...it was the gas......that adjustment just made her run even better....

YEAH RIGHT YA FRY CAKE !!!!!!!!!!! basically they adjusted the carb and redid the gas...then he says...no charge for the gas...on us...sorry......

I said it should came gassed up to begin with.................

So....still debating try to return it as I dont think I want to deal with them....and why should I ask another dealer to service something they didnt get the sale for! thats not right in my opinion.........

What do you guys think?? just get my saw or keep going being as a$$hol* ???

^well if the saw runs and you can make production with it I'd continue to do business with them. They know they F'ed up and being business guys it's just human nature to make it up to you is some way or another...that's my experience anyway. Good luck and keep us posted on how it cutting etc. At the very least they should have given you a loaner saw imo.

I don't know, they seem pretty shady to me. Personally I wouldn't be able to put it behind me and would always be thinking about it when I brought the saw in for any maintenance/problems. It is obvious they are hiding the truth and since that is the most basic element of any relationship I would terminate doing business with them. I am surprised that a dealer wouldn't fire up a saw before it went out the door. It is for their protection as well as the customers.

They provided what you bought, if it is ready for pickup I would think you would play like heck to get them to undo the deal. If you can kudos, I think your an owner...now if the saw does not run when you pick it up, and I would want to test it on some wood before I drove home, well then you have a grievence. Good luck, I hope you walk out with a return slip.

tractorboy924 said:
Just called to say its all set. They still insist it was the gas. Tech said he drained the tank and dried her all up...Put in 87 octane mix and she fired right up....I said did you adjust the carb at all....NOPE..it was gas...up front just come in and pick it up...sorry took so long......

So I said again....oh okay..must not like that gas huh.....tech say yep......87 and she runs great....I said oh......just had to tweak the main jet maybe a little...Tech...Yeah..thats all BAMN GOTCHA- SO YOU DID adjust the carb I said.......Tech say...well..just a little but that was not your problem..it was the gas........He said she was emitting a little too much gas into the carb initially but that was not the problem...it was the gas......that adjustment just made her run even better....

YEAH RIGHT YA FRY CAKE !!!!!!!!!!! basically they adjusted the carb and redid the gas...then he says...no charge for the gas...on us...sorry......

So....still debating try to return it as I dont think I want to deal with them....and why should I ask another dealer to service something they didnt get the sale for! thats not right in my opinion.........

My husky dealer is insistent that I use 91 octane for best performance (if you need another nail in the coffin).

tractorboy924 said:

Honestly, I don't know what to think. I work for a large Husky dealer as a mechanic, but I can only give you my personal opinion on this. No single thing there as I read it is a smoking gun either way. Small H tweaks are pretty common and bad gas is really common. The dealer shouldn't have given it to you dry. Period. Who knows. One thing for sure though, if a saw doesn't run out of the box, a tweak isn't going to fix it.

I replaced my husky 359 with a Dolmar today. I asked the Dolmar dealer what he reccomends for gas, he is also a husky and jonsered dealer. He said 89 octane (mid grade) or higher is ok, but beware of no name brand gas stations. He claims the no names sell gas with higher percentage methanol. The methanol will not prevent the saw from running but has seen it cause problems with seals and burn out engines because the methanol ruins the oil lubricity that is mixed with the gas. I am sure every dealer will tell you something different because all of their experiences will be different but to say these saws will not at least start and run on high octane gas is ridiculous.

cmonSTART said:
tractorboy924 said:

Honestly, I don't know what to think. I work for a large Husky dealer as a mechanic, but I can only give you my personal opinion on this. No single thing there as I read it is a smoking gun either way. Small H tweaks are pretty common and bad gas is really common. The dealer shouldn't have given it to you dry. Period. Who knows. One thing for sure though, if a saw doesn't run out of the box, a tweak isn't going to fix it.

Bought my Stihl 361 a few weeks back brand new. Didnt know what to expect from a dealer as I never bought a new saw before. Went into the whole thing blind until I got to read this thread after the purchase. They actually called me into the back of the store where they work on saws, past all the employees only signs to watch them pull my new saw out of the box and put the bar, chain and gas and oil in it. The whole time the tech was showing me and explaining things to me about my new saw. Then he fired it up and I got to listen to her run. THEN, the tech says "ok come with me we need to try it out". And at this point I am thinking, ah ok this guy is about to have some fun on my time with my new saw??? So we go out back of the store and he hands me the running saw and stands there and looks at me and says..."well try it out". And I am standing there with this misled look on my face when the tech takes the saw from me and sinks it into one of many logs they had in the back of the store. He says to me, it seams to be running good, gives me back the saw when I got to try it out. Then tells me to bring it back after about ten or a dozen tank fulls of gas for a free tune up. This whole time I was beside myself thinking this guy got to break the cherry on my new saw..Well I am such a dumb a$$ some times. Thats what a good dealer is all about, I come to find out. Guess I got lucky the first time.

As with any purchase, where you purchase it can be one of the most important things! People get reputations for reasons. Hope everything works out for you. Sounds like someone made a mistake somewhere, and that happens, glad they corrected it and they should make it up to you down the road. If not, move on to someone else.

Where it me i'd get my money back and not deal with that dealer anymore. That's not to say you shouldn't look at another Husky either but for sure get another dealer with a good service department.

And no, "a little tweak" aint gunna fill the cylinder in 6-8 pulls. And on the bright side....any new toy you get with a gas engine on it you have a good sense of how the deal should go down. THEY should always get to fire it up on the spot BEFORE you take ownership.

Oh, and someone else made mention of it but writing a stinger to Husky would be a real good idea too (not an e-mail...go old school with an envelope and a stamp).

i had a hard time starting my 55 rancher when i first got it. the dealer fired it up for me and everything before i left. after several attempts i called and he told me not to use the decrompression button. after that it started fine. don't know why they added this feature because i never use it, don't know if anybody else does?

When I had my 359 I didn't use it. Now with the 7900 I use it every time because it is too hard to start without it. I agree smaller saws do not need this feature, unfortunately what constitutes a "smaller saw" is defined by the user. For me the 359 was too small for decompression.

FIREFIGHTER29 said:
cmonSTART said:
tractorboy924 said:
tech say yep......87 and she runs great....I said oh......just had to tweak the main jet maybe a little...Tech...Yeah..thats all BAMN GOTCHA- SO YOU DID adjust the carb I said.......Tech say...well..just a little but that was not your problem..it was the gas........
YEAH RIGHT YA FRY CAKE !!!!!!!!!!! basically they adjusted the carb and redid the gas

Bought my Stihl 361 a few weeks back brand new. Didnt know what to expect from a dealer as I never bought a new saw before. Went into the whole thing blind until I got to read this thread after the purchase. They actually called me into the back of the store where they work on saws, past all the employees only signs to watch them pull my new saw out of the box and put the bar, chain and gas and oil in it. The whole time the tech was showing me and explaining things to me about my new saw. Then he fired it up and I got to listen to her run. THEN, the tech says "ok come with me we need to try it out". And at this point I am thinking, ah ok this guy is about to have some fun on my time with my new saw??? So we go out back of the store and he hands me the running saw and stands there and looks at me and says..."well try it out".

I also bought a Stihl MS361 BRAND NEW last April, off someone on eBay, to save $50. off retail price. When it arrived, I assembled the bar and chain, gassed and oiled it up, and tried to start it, ALL as per the instructions, it flooded. I took the spark plug out, held the engine upside down and gave it a few pulls on the cord to flush all the gas out of the cylinder, dried the plug, then put it back together. Tried to start it again, but it wouldn't start for nothin'. After what seemed like the 100th time I finally took it to the local dealer. After the required amount of groveling and kissing of feet :down: I told them I learned a valuable lesson on why it pays to spend a little more and buy from the local dealer, and how I wished I could "undo" this purchase and buy from them, he took the saw and we went into the shop where the dealer started it,(he had no problem at all), let it warm up for a minute and then adjusted the carb for me. I took it home and since it was now warm it started up great and I cut some wood. Next morning when I tried to use it again it wouldn't start. I took it apart, cleared the cylinder and plug, threw the appropriate amount of salt over my shoulder, rubbed my rabbit's foot the required amount of times :-S and tried to start it. NOTHING, not even a fart. I took it back to the dealer again, apologized for not buying it there again, and told them I was ready to bite the bullet and prepared to pay to have it serviced, A saw's no good to me if it won't start. We went into the shop again, and he showed me step by step how to start it. When cold, set it on full choke and pull the cord until it "farts". Then back off the choke to 1/2 choke and pull until it starts. It started right up. It starts up every time this way. I think these small 2 stroke engine's have a certain "combination" of steps that must be followed precisely, especially when brand new, or they won't start. Until you figure out what that is for any particular engine you own, you can have problems starting it. I don't think octane of fuel, or EXACT ratio of fuel to oil,(though that is important for lubrication purposes),
matters that much as far as starting it goes. I SWORE that something was wrong with my engine too, but it was just a matter of figuring out what the exact starting sequence was. I since went back and bought a Stihl MS170 limbing saw from my local dealer.
I don't think having to wait up to a week to get a saw back is too much. Unfortunately there ARE people ahead of us when we bring things in to get fixed. Yes, we'd love for it to be fixed RIGHT NOW, and to be bumped up in line ahead of "Joe Tree-Service" and everyone else, but it very rarely EVER works like that. Heck, we wouldn't like it if someone was bumped up ahead of us now, would we? ;-) It's also nice if they have a loaner we can borrow, but that's not always possible.
Snyde

Isn't that how most/all two-strokes start (cold)? Choke out, pull till it sputters, push choke in (1/2 way if such a setting exists), pull till it starts. That's what my Husky instructions said, and those for my weed-whacker. What did yours say to do?

Snydley you are correct for sure. The first time I tried to start my 361 I flooded it out. Its not hard to do at all with these new saws. My old Husky 162 is far more resilient and actually very hard to flood. It starts easier as well. It only ever takes two pulls. One with the choke on and one with it off and the saws running. My 361 sometimes takes three or four pulls with the choke the whole way on just to get it to fart on a cold start. After reading some stuff on this forum I dont think they make Huskys like they used to ether...

For the record, my 361 is the just about the same. I only pull it twice on full choke regardless whether it coughs or not. After that it's on half choke till it starts. I find it's very easy to flood. Right after I bought the saw I had to make the drive of shame back to the dealer only to have him tell me I flooded it. He then started it right up on half choke. Now I know better and I haven't flooded it since. Another thing is my saw doesn't like old gas at all.. From now on I'm only buying small amounts at once. This is probably common knowledge but I'm still a saw newbie :)

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.