Brand spanking new Newbie!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aznav

Mar 14, 2014
Harrisonburg, VA
We will be signing next week on building our first home. The condo code only allows vented gas inserts. We plan to have a corner insert. I would like any thoughts/info/links/recommendations on what we might buy and what we should be aware of.

I am more interested in efficiency than in ambiance. Thanks!

We will be signing next week on building our first home. The condo code only allows vented gas inserts. We plan to have a corner insert. I would like any thoughts/info/links/recommendations on what we might buy and what we should be aware of.

I am more interested in efficiency than in ambiance. Thanks!

Welcome to Hearth.com, Aznav. If the condo association allow DV gas products, it will have to be a gas fireplace, not an insert.
That being said corner installs are pretty nice & you may want to consider framing a tv nook/entertainment center above the fireplace.
You choices are many, but if you visit your local hearth shops you will find that you may be able to get ambiance with efficiency...
There are a couple of questions that you need to answer before we can point you towards any particular products...
What is the size of the room the unit will be installed in? Are you interested in heating MORE area than just this room?
How MUCH more area? Does this area lose lower a LOT during the heating months?
You may also find that the builder only deals with a certain manufacturer & that all his construction is based around a specific model.
You will need to ask if upgrades/changes are allowed...HTH

Wow, thanks, Bob, and I will need to get back to you on those questions. Still not sure on room size yet (long, boring story) but we will have two floors with an average of 1000 square feet per floor. As it stands now, we are primarily interested in heating only the first floor. This is for both efficiency and emergency. I plan to have a hundred gallon propane tank (allowed). These are twin town homes, reversed (flipped).

Here is where I really show my newbieness. As it stands (pardon the pun), we will be having a corner unit gas fireplace. I will have to ask if they allow free standing gas stoves in the corner or an "insert". My terminology may be misplaced. What the builder will do is to frame the corner for the "insert" to include the vent, code, etc. It is up to me to determine what I want. I specifically asked to be able to add our own gas heating unit because I know there are more efficient units than just a little flicker of ambiance.

One of several reasons for joining this forum is to get unbiased and intelligent help in finding a unit that has good feedback and practical use without costing my left leg for a Scandinavian unit that comes with a waterfall and pump. Ok, that part was a bit exaggerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.