brass valve sizing for PEX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2010
I'm using 1" PEX all around for my complete installation, where I'll be doubling lines for supply and return underground for a cross sectional area of just slightly more than 1.25" lines for less money. I was comparing brass valves and 1" PEX last night at Lowes while I was putting together black iron fittings for a propane tank into air tank conversion. It would appear that the ID of 1" PEX is approximately the same ID as 3/4" brass ball valves. Would there be any real benefit to using 1" brass valves on 1" PEX if 1" PEX ID is closer to 3/4" ID? Using the smaller valves would save me a significant amount of money since I'm going to install about 2 dozen valves in my setup.

But you will need to by adapters, two per valve to get from the 3/4 valve, sweat or IP, l to 1" pex. I think buying 1" valves with the pex adapters built into them would be the best bet.

hr

i'll only need one adapter for most of the valves since the vast majority of them will be right at the boiler or part of my manifolds.

Can you find a fitting to get from a 3/4 ball valve to 1" pex in one step? If it is an affordable solution, go for it. Look for a 100% full port valve, sometimes the home center valves are smaller opening type, maybe 80%.

hr

When all said and done would you be better off buying premade manifolds? Some include temp gauges and flow meters for balancing.

Attachments

• radiantheatmanifold_sm.jpg
    radiantheatmanifold_sm.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 146
RobC said:
When all said and done would you be better off buying premade manifolds? Some include temp gauges and flow meters for balancing.

I've looked at pre-made manifolds. I found nothing I liked the last time I looked, but I was searching for something with a 1.25" main body and 1" outlets. Perhaps I could find something with 3/4" outlets that I would like though. I'll do some more research.

Status
Not open for further replies.