Brave man

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Earlier today, I watched this guy cut out blocks from this log. He was making a water trough. Safety first! Discuss.

Attachments

• DSC_7888_1024x685.JPG
    DSC_7888_1024x685.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 876
I dunno...bore cutting is safer than limbing imo. btw how did he get the bottom to release?

savageactor7 said:
I dunno...bore cutting is safer than limbing imo. btw how did he get the bottom to release?

Maybe I'm a wimp, but I wouldn't like to stand over a saw like that. At least he has steel-toed boots (I hope).

Down the middle and every 8 inches or so, he cut to the depth of the trough. Then tapped a wedge lightly between the blocks. I was surprised how easily they lifted, and rather clean, too.

I look at this the same way I look at an experienced chef. You ever really watch some of them guys with knives? :bug:

I look at some of these crafters the same way. For the most part they know what they are doing BUT some PPE never could hurt.

That is a monster Husky saw!

One very confident wood cutter indeed! His right foot is in the path of the saw.
Yes, no PPE of any kind is used, besides his most unusual high attack angle on the log!

Looks to me like he knows exactly what he's doing, and that he's done it at least a few times before. I wouldn't try it, unless I was a graduate of his school. Rick

drewmo said:
Earlier today, I watched this guy cut out blocks from this log. He was making a water trough. Safety first! Discuss.

Almost a year later, I ran across "Brave Man" discussed in the original post. While everyone here agrees he should be wearing PPE, he has not taken our advice and has gone for the comfort of the open-toed sandal. BTW, he's cutting a 75' water trough this time, so I'm sure at some point during the day, he was on the log with the saw between his feet. To his credit, all limbs and digits remain.

Attachments

• DSC01089_1024x768.jpg
    DSC01089_1024x768.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 478
Now thats a good time and place to have the chainsaw boots!

The only issue I see here is with the color saw he's using!

The people who get hurt the most by chainsaws are newbies and the more experienced, he is an idiot.

i3bpvh said:
what is that on the bar? a depth stop?

Yes that is what it looks like, a couple of roller bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.