Braze or Mig fitting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
20210219_162343.jpg
This is a hydraulic fitting on my tractor. Funny how this is the only part of the system that rusted but anyway. I think I may have one coming from somewhere in the world. An Indian sounding guy took my order. I called to verify then he told me to order online and the website uses paypal so if it never shows at least paypal will refund. Should I braze or mig or even both? This is the main line on the trans housing where it goes to the lift and it also runs the steering so I can't even start it until this gets fixed.

I wouldn't trust a brass brazing.

MIG

I might go the brazing route as that looks like a really crappy fitting. MIG will induce more stress in the fitting than brazing will. If its cleaned up well and fluxed correctly the braze may flow into the porosity. I do agree MIG can be stronger but that is assuming there is enough metal underneath to grab onto.

It looks like galvanic attack where there are two dissimilar metals in contact with each other. One metal will sacrifice itself and flow to the other metal.

BTW that is recipe for an hydraulic injection injury. You should wrap the fitting and assume at all times there is pinhole leak. Just a pinhole at high pressure barely noticeable can cause serious damage if it gets under your skin. High-Pressure Injection Wounds | Michigan Medicine (uofmhealth.org)

What kind of pressure are we talking about? Dont think I would trust brazing. I dont know if you could get mig hot enough to weld without destroying the fittings first. Have you tried going to a hydraulic shop and see if they have anything? Looks like a fairly standard banjo fitting which are common on brake lines.

I would scrap that fitting and get a new one
No matter how you fix it it is just a temp fix of
a compromised fitting

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Well scratch all that. New one arrived today. No notice that it ever shipped. Always shown processing when I checked.