brazed plate heat exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dman_110

Apr 23, 2011
nwct
Hello all, just looking for advice on back flushing a brazed PHE. Ive got a 60 plate that i believe to be fouled due to poor water quality. Its on my buddies outdoor wood boiler and he never conditioned the watwer two years ago, and it hasnt been shut down since the day we hooked it up. Im going to cut in some tees and install boiler drains, figure i could back flush into a bucket a solution of something. any help would be greatly apreciated.

I used to believe the wash of choice was muriatic acid, aka hydrochloric acid. Now I don't believe that is the right acid. Google "flat plate heat exchanger cleaning" and do some research. Also, check this out: Descale

A few manufacturers sell these de-lime kits for tankless water heaters. Some owners need to de-lime those heaters once a year. A plate HX would be the same, especially in hard water conditions. www.flow-aide.com

Install two of these Webstone valves to make it easy to flush in the future.

hr

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-20 at 8.11.27 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-20 at 8.11.27 AM.png
    239.5 KB · Views: 440
thanks for the input, someone suggested TSP, im not really sure what that would do, i am a little nervouse about etching the inside of the plates, which is what that acid would do, right?

You will need an acid base of some sort, boiler cleaner, etc to break down the deposits inside the excanger so they can be flushed out. You can use milder solutions you will just need more time. There was a thread on this very topic I am guessing 16 months ago. If you can find it using the search function it is full of discussion about how, to what to use, etc. As well as photos. Good luck hope you find it. It's worth the search time.

Status
Not open for further replies.