Break-in burn in the "beast"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pumiglk

Aug 2, 2008
Saratoga County, NY
New Equinox installed in previous Rumsford fireplace over the summer. Temps dipped to about 40F the other night and I could hold off no longer. Figured a break-in fire was in order to make sure everything was working - that almost washed with my wife who still thinks I am certifiable for lighting a stove in August. Drew nice on start up; shut down nice as stone warmed. I think Mr. Propane man is going to be very unhappy :lol: Figured I would post a pic as few of these are seen even on this sight yet and haven't seen any with flame yet. Can't wait to see this thing going for real. NOt sure about the image upload thing but here it goes...

equinox2.jpg

Well that didn't work too well - I will read up on the embedded in post options for now I guess it is the old fashoned way

Attachments

• IMG_1635-1.jpg
    IMG_1635-1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,305
  • IMG_1636-1.jpg
    IMG_1636-1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,299
That is a huge stove in a large fireplace. Looks great. Give us a report on how it burns and the burn times after you have been using it, and how that thing heats. Jeff

My wife was (is) the same regarding summer burns. But when you get it cranking to burn off the chemical smells she will be glad you are burning when opening the windows doesn't seem even crazier.

That will work very well!

Looks great. Tell your wife it's better to break in your stove while you can still open all the windows to get rid of the curring metal paint stink. Besides, you paid big bucks for that beast, you should be able to fire it whenever you want!

Oh hell ya. That is sweet. All that stone will be a great heat sink to gently release heat back into the living space. All you need now is a big yellar dog to curl up in front of it.

That is a real beauty. It looks great in the stone setting. Nice job on the hearth extension too.

Have you tried anything to clean the soot off the stone? It should be the last time it will need cleaning now the Equinox is connected.

BeGreen - Thanks! I was hoping the extension would look like it had been there all along but I guess that would be reaching. Would love to remove the soot off the stone. Was thinking diltuted TSP and a scrubby pad. Any other suggestions welcome (standard spray cleaner stuff didn't touch it no suprise probably).

Oh hell ya. That is sweet. All that stone will be a great heat sink to gently release heat back into the living space. All you need now is a big yellar dog to curl up in front of it.
How about a little black lab and a Fat beagle ;-)

The best thing is not having a 42 x 42 inch hole in my house every time we light a fire - that big ol fire place could look mighty pretty when the yule log was blazing but come the end of the month there was reckoning to be done with Mr. Propane man. With 12+ acres of hardwood as my back lawn (6 cords stacked, split and seasoning since spring) I am looking forward to a warm winter for a change.

My soapstone looked bright blue like that at first and then got darker with more color streaks as it was used. So expect the color to change. TO me the break in fumes from the stone smelled like pancakes being cooked. Not that bad really.

Well, I have to admit that we did the same thing a few days ago. Just put in a Lopi Leydon this spring and didn't have a "real" fire in it until now. The stove drafted way better than I ever expected, and did a great job. It was kind of strange having a fire going with the windows open, but the smell of the paint curing was too much to handle.

Great looking setup. I'll be interested to see an after season pic to compare to. Interested in seeing how the soapstone breaks in colorwise.

pen

A heating King perched in his castle. Love the look of that stove. If it heats as good as it looks than your gonna be toasty warm. Congrats & Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.