Break in fire Enviro/Vistaflame 1700 insert LOUD bang

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2014
Pac NW
Hey all I have been reading and reading in an attempt to try to figure out what I may have heard on my first fire in my VF 1700 insert.

I started w a small fire and let if go for a bit and then put some pretty dry smaller splits on the fire and I will be the first to admit I was a little preoccupied w opening windows and doors to air the house out and left the door partially cracked and when I realized I had a bit of an iferno going.

I was a little taken back by how quickly this happened. Never have had a fire go that quickly w my Regency 2400i and burned a lot of wood through that stove. Anyway I closed the door and damped it down. In reading I should have probably opened the door wide open or not fully damped it down but now I know.

Anyway the secondaries were going full speed ahead and the stove was smoking like crazy (new stove burn in burn off).

Anyway the stove was making familiar metal ticking noises as temps were rising and then I heard a pretty loud bang. it sounded like more of a sheet metal bang and only happened once. Nothing was glowing on the stove outside from the secondaries which seems to be pretty normal from what i gather.

I have had a few fires since and almost have all the new stove smell eliminated. Everything seems to be working just fine but I cant help but wonder what the LOUD bang was?

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!!!!
Oh and if you are wondering Whimpers Baggins is the nickname I gave my 8 year old female Chesapeake. hahaha shes quite the worry wort mom dog.

Could be the insert cabinet oil canning as it heated up. Keep an ear out and watch for any change in burning, but if none, don't worry yet.

Could be the insert cabinet oil canning as it heated up. Keep an ear out and watch for any change in burning, but if none, don't worry yet.

Oil canning? this is an unfamiliar term for me.

When you say keep an ear out and look for a change in burning what exactly do you mean? unfortunately I dont really have anything to compare the burn too outside of a Regency 2400i and a Lopi Freedom insert.

It does seem to work well, the damper control works just fine (still trying to find the sweet spot) but I do notice in the lower right corner of the stove it seems there is an influx of air. Is this what is referred to as pilot air?

oh and thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.